• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Solution?

matt w

Bronco Guru
What is the best solution for making it easier to get my 73 into and out of 4 wheel drive!??

It always seems like a huge guessing game and I hate it!..plus listening to things grind is just plain WRONG!!!

I have owned it for 8 years and only had it in 4 wheel drive 1/2 a dozen times.(used another rig to thrash on the dirt!)

I changed the transfer case fluid and diffs this past weekend. I am going thru it just to get it back to "fighting shape". I will re-pack all the bearings in the next week or so HOWEVER....this shifting thing is crazy wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!:cool: ;D

Last edited:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Twin sticking is one of the best and cheapest upgrades you can do. 73 is the T to J transition year. What TC do you have?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see it so many times, guys trying to jam it, kick it, hammer it and everything else in and out of 4x4, you have to finesse them in and out of gear, what I'm saying is those gears have to mesh (line up) then if the shifter is in good working condition it will fall in and out of 4x4. Most of the time getting it into 4 is no real problem, after the t-case has been in 4x4 and driven it can be a little stubborn to disengage, here is what will work:
1: put it into D and roll for a few feet, while still moving throw the tranny into N and let it coast, now try disengageing the t-case, you may do this while still moving or stoped.
2: if still no luck repeat 1, only in reverse it will loosen up the t-case and pop right out of gear with no problems.
NOTE: this works best on level ground or at least where the tranny and t-case won't be in a bind.
Like others said, if you don't like the shifter or its worn out, twin stik is the way to go.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Twin sticking is one of the best and cheapest upgrades you can do. 73 is the T to J transition year. What TC do you have?

Newbie here what is a "TC" ? Transmission Case?

I believe it is a D20

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
another vote for twin sticking it, easiest and best mod so far!

Matt

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Another twin stick vote and as surferb said sometimes you have to roll the vehicle just a little bit to get it in and out of 4WD. On my 75 you always had to roll it forward or reverse just a little bit to get it to pop in or out.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
if you have a J shift, you can twin stick it. but I went the other route and installed an "improved" J shifter from James Duff. simple install, and it works great. no guessing or cussing involved. and it is a better design than the original. it won't fall apart like the original. the price is pretty close to the same as a twin...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you being facetious? :cool:

Probably not. He was asking because front and rear tires can move at slightly different speeds for various reasons (different gear ratios, different sizes, variations in air pressure or tread wear) and can cause binding in the transfer case gears. Making it harder to shift.

That's why you often hear of hard to shift situations with T-cases.
Even when perfect, a lot of 4-wheel drive vehicles had slight variations in differential gearing (like 4.09 or 4.10 front, 4.11 rear) so there can be tension in the gears when you go to shift.
That's one of the reasons they say not to drive an EB on the pavement (unless wet or slippery) in 4-wheel drive. In the dirt the tires can slip some, easing the pressure.
Also why one of the more common things to do when shifting back out of 4-low was to back up 20 feet or so before shifting.

Paul

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Probably not. He was asking because front and rear tires can move at slightly different speeds for various reasons (different gear ratios, different sizes, variations in air pressure or tread wear) and can cause binding in the transfer case gears. Making it harder to shift.

That's why you often hear of hard to shift situations with T-cases.
Even when perfect, a lot of 4-wheel drive vehicles had slight variations in differential gearing (like 4.09 or 4.10 front, 4.11 rear) so there can be tension in the gears when you go to shift.
That's one of the reasons they say not to drive an EB on the pavement (unless wet or slippery) in 4-wheel drive. In the dirt the tires can slip some, easing the pressure.
Also why one of the more common things to do when shifting back out of 4-low was to back up 20 feet or so before shifting.

Paul

Well I have wheeled for years(just not my bronco) and that is why I asked the question.

Serious it is hard to get the thing in gear..my Jeep never had a problem. Had 33's.35's and 37's on it. NEVER did I have such a problem as I have with my bronco and honestly it really should not be that difficult.

As far as pulling forward 15 feet...then trying to go in reverse 15 feet...not driving on dry pavement, etc., I learned that 25+ years ago when all this was just hitting the fan, I did noit have a wheeler then but knew about binding and such.....soooooo

I am a wuss when it comes to expecting my EB to just fall into gear..! heh-heh

Actually I ought to get undernieth and make sure all is lubed well since it has been 8 years since anyone hase checked it out!%) :( :eek: :mad: :D ;D :cool:

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
if you have a J shift, you can twin stick it. but I went the other route and installed an "improved" J shifter from James Duff. simple install, and it works great. no guessing or cussing involved. and it is a better design than the original. it won't fall apart like the original. the price is pretty close to the same as a twin...

that might be the ticket:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Didn't mean to go all "owners-manual" on you Matt. But even though you'd said you'd been wheeling for years in one post, all I remembered was the other post where you said to help a newbie out and saw you ask about what a TC was.
So I thought too-much-information would be just enough.

Paul