• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to drain the 9" diff!??

matt w

Bronco Guru
Soooo, I had new gears installed and NEED to change the fluid!

What is the easiest way!?

I bought a suction pump but the hose will not fit past the gears?

HELP !!! Heh heh;D;)

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
I used a crappy manual pump with a long plastic tube from napa, had to find just the right spot to get the tube down to the lowest point in the case, it was a royal pain I'm sure I didn't get all of it but pretty close, but it worked ok. I've heard people drill and tap a plug hole in the bottom of the case to drain it easily, curious to see what others have done

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The short term answer... pull the differential out of the housing.
The long term answer... as long as the differential is out, add a drain plug.
The bottom of the housing has enough thickness to drill and carefully, carefully, carefully tap for an 1/8" flush pipe plug. I said carefully because you can easily tap too deeply for the thin little flush plug. It's best to tap a bit, check, then tap a bit more.
I've done that on mine and it will drain warm gear oil both 85 and 140 WT very quickly.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Drive to a Quick Lube, have them suck it out and add fresh gear lube.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I have pulled an axle, and stuck a long tube with a stick to stiffen it into the axle tube. I left about 6-8 inches of "free" tube so it could go down into the pumpkin case.
Then I used a small pump on my drill to pump it out. Sounds weird but it worked fairly well.

68Rcodeman

Contributor
Put it on stands. Remove the fill plug and run the truck in reverse with fill plug out. The ring gear will pull the fluid up the case and run out of the fill hole.it will get 90% of the fluid out.
David

rfoleygearhead

Some of the ford 9" had drain plugs I would use a hand pump and then pu in a weld in drain plug

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Put it on stands. Remove the fill plug and run the truck in reverse with fill plug out. The ring gear will pull the fluid up the case and run out of the fill hole.it will get 90% of the fluid out.
David

Interesting concept. Wouldn't that work better with a higher ratio ring and pinion?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some people pull the pinion support cover off and drain/suck it out that way. Others, myself included, go to the extra trouble of pulling the axles and third member to get it all out.
My reasoning is after trying to suck it out, drain it out, and otherwise fight with nature, it was much quicker to just pull the whole thing apart and be done with it.

That said... I now have a housing going in next week with a drain plug.;D
But my thinking in your case Matt, is that you might want to pull it apart to inspect your new gears for any funny business. Not that you want to waste an almost brand new gasket, but it's cheap insurance for finding any issues with a new setup now, rather than later. Or on a long trip!

Good luck no matter what you do. I'm frankly surprised that any lube-joint will have a tube small enough and a tech dextrous enough to get the lube out the fill hole, but then again, I don't know what kind of equipment they use.
Just make sure you watch their progress if you can!

Paul

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Some people pull the pinion support cover off and drain/suck it out that way. Others, myself included, go to the extra trouble of pulling the axles and third member to get it all out.
My reasoning is after trying to suck it out, drain it out, and otherwise fight with nature, it was much quicker to just pull the whole thing apart and be done with it.

That said... I now have a housing going in next week with a drain plug.;D
But my thinking in your case Matt, is that you might want to pull it apart to inspect your new gears for any funny business. Not that you want to waste an almost brand new gasket, but it's cheap insurance for finding any issues with a new setup now, rather than later. Or on a long trip!

Good luck no matter what you do. I'm frankly surprised that any lube-joint will have a tube small enough and a tech dextrous enough to get the lube out the fill hole, but then again, I don't know what kind of equipment they use.
Just make sure you watch their progress if you can!

Paul

To All... I did it! pics to follow! Ha