• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to repair a stripped out hole in an aluminum intake

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I stripped one of the holes that holds the thermostat housing on my Edelbrock intake today. Can it just drill it out and retap it one size bigger or should I take it and have an insert put in by a machine shop? I have eveything I would need to retap it myself I'm just not real familiar with these intakes and don't want to ruin it. It looks like there should be plenty of material in the area to bump it up from a 5/16 to a 3/8 without too much trouble. Anyone know any reason why I shouldn't do it myself?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
helicoil is easy and cheap. it will also be stronger then the original threads.

timecerts are better but cost more and are harder to find.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You could also JB weld in a stud. how come this stuff always seem to happen to you?

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
You could also JB weld in a stud. how come this stuff always seem to happen to you?

Don't know Bax?? Maybe I'm just too strong...... %) I like the idea of a stud though because there are still 3/4s of the threads left in the bottom of the hole but because of the water pump housing you can't use a longer bolt.

Really sucked too because I had torn everything down, cleaned everything, replaced the gaskets and reset the intake and torqued it down in less than 30 minutes when I found the hole.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'd use a heli-coil just because I have a bunch of em. If you drill be careful not to get into the water passage or you'll have to seal the bolt or stud.

svorsp

The tap drill for 3/8-16 is 5/16, so the change is easy enough. The right way to do it is insert it. I would not use heli-coil, rather a Kingcert or Timecert. Heli-coils do not always play nice in aluminum, sharp edges of the coil like to gald the aluminum thread and can actually change thread pitch slight as you go deeper in the hole. Just my two cents worth.

Robert

Oatmeal

Timeserts are the best.
I agree! Costs a bit more than a Heli-Coil kit but, nothing compares! I have a few in my Toyota's aluminum head to keep the exhaust manifold where it's supposed to be. I also think they'er a little easier to use in tight spots......I was able to install them without removing the head:)---------Hans

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you will be paying for the work it is probably cheaper to buy a new $150 intake. Then you will have all new machined surfaces.

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I'm gonna give a look into using a stud since I have a drawer full of them and if that doesn't work I'll just drill it and retap it. I can't see buying an entire set of timecerts just to fix one bolt hole, although I do like the product.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
again the helicoil is cheap and stonger then the original. 5 minute fix at the most.

with a stud you may have trouble getting the thermostat housing on.

JB weld will not hold it and leave you stranded.

tap to the next size then you may have more trouble with the housing. maybe able to drill it out too.

timecerts are best but not needed here.

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
If you are going to use a stud or studs. Why not run tap to chase threads and use nyloc and let stud set up. If "ALL" the threads have been pulled then you have no choice but to go with heli-coil.

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Put in a stud with some red locktite leaving just enough threads to put on a lock washer and nut. Worked like a charm. No issues getting the t-stat housing on and no leaking. Best of all it didn't cost me a dime;D