• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to weld up rear end?

fiscus

Loc.
montreal, QC
I have a stockish setup with 4.10s and 32" tires, open rear. I want to weld it or put a mini spool, I'm thinking welding might be stronger. Is it better to weld both side gears to the main case or to weld one to the cover? It seems that the way it all goes together you can't weld everywhere.

mytmyk@q.com

Spool

I would not recommend welding it. Buy A spool instead. My last one was from Summit racing for like 50 $$ to my door step.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Weld the spider gears to the side gears its cheap no reason to spend money on a spool and if you dont like the way it handles then you can decide on what to do next. Dont weld the gears to the case itself as you may change your mind down the road and it would probably weaken the case.
No sure on what you use your bronco for but come time for winter and you'll hate the spool or welded diff it will get you in more trouble than its worth.
For a stockish setup I'd probably leave it open of get a locker.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
9 inch 3rd members are really not that hard to come by getting one and saving money to set it up with a locker is really not a bad idea.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
if you drive your bronco on slick public roads, you absolutely do not want a spool or welded gears. I welded the rear on my Dodge plow truck, and it is downright spooky driving on slick surfaces. any kind of corner at all, at any speed, even on road surface that is just a little bit slick...and that rear end is breakin loose.
that being said...if you are a good experienced welder, "Lincoln Lockers" are a quick cheap and easy way to get a full locker. just weld the gears, don't touch the case.

methcat

Loc.
long beach
too bad you don't live down here... i'm just about to take my 3rd into the shop to have the spool taken out. i could've just traded you the 4.11 set. anyone else with the same problem?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Minispool $16.99

But I don't think it is a good idea. Not good for road manors. slick roads can be a handfull. Not good offroad, those are little 28 spline axles that will likely die with any offroad action that is enough to need the locked rear end.

OP
OP
fiscus

fiscus

Loc.
montreal, QC
UPDATE: this truck does not see roads at all, is not even plated. For the woods only. I am going to lock the rear with a mini spool or welding, I just need to choose which one is stronger.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I would guess that the Minispool is stronger. Its one peice of metal. Welding spider gears means trying to get a good bead on something that's been immersed in gear oil for 30 years and hoping that you don't make it brittle at the same time. I don't see how you wouldn't introduce stress risers that would want to snap if they had the chance. But then again if you put enough welding rod in it, it could be made stronger, but you would use more than $17 worth of rod.
Tom

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They're both stronger than the wimpy little 28-spline axles, so it choose whichever you prefer. I'd rather fish out a mini-spool when the axles let go than deal with welded spiders, but that's just me. I honestly wouldn't lock a 28-spline rear end myself as it just seems to be begging for breakage.

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
Mini spool 100%, the cross pin is made to be the weak link, and trying to fish out a 3rd member with welded spiders and busted axle is no fun at all. If you go mini spool, you can always sell the spool off when its time to upgrade to some 31 or more spline axles.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have a mini-spool and like it a lot. I was going to recommend it until I saw you were in Montreal. The only place I don't like my spool is on snow and ice. As others have said, it's almost uncontrollable on ice. It will break loose with NO warning. So unless you are just going to use it on the trail and don't intend to use it on the street in the winter, I would not recommend the spool or the lincoln.

That said, I would highly recommend the mini spool over welding. The ms is cheap and you can remove it easily if you don't like it. Once you weld your gears are junk.