• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Better Mustang GT donor seat?

slim811

Contributor
Tired of my stock, short back, non reclining front seat. What generation Mustang GT (1994-1998) or (1999-2004) would make the better donor? Lower profile, ease of installation and use of seatbelt are factors I am interested in. Thank You Slim.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Tired of my stock, short back, non reclining front seat. What generation Mustang GT (1994-1998) or (1999-2004) would make the better donor? Lower profile, ease of installation and use of seatbelt are factors I am interested in. Thank You Slim.

I have used the 87-93 mustang seats and the factory sliders with success...

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
I am planning to use fox mustangs seats as well. I have measured, the seat tracks are the same width, and are only slightly longer front to back. I'm using them because I already had them. Probably didn't help answer your question. Just my 2c.

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
Welcome to the site No1.

I am planning to use fox mustangs seats as well. I have measured, the seat tracks are the same width, and are only slightly longer front to back. I'm using them because I already had them. Probably didn't help answer your question. Just my 2c.

1st post and you are already helpful. Thanks guys! There seems to be a lot of old mustang seats for sale whenever I check out Craigslist. Now I'll look for the earlier ones as well.

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Fox body seats, I recovered them and used the Bronco sliders

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 295

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Owners have been putting Mustang seats in Broncos since at least the 70's if not the 60's.

A seat that fits me right probably will not fit you the same way, the only thing you can do is try them for yourself.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Love my '91's. Had the taller-backed '89's first, but actually didn't like them because they were harder to recline all the way. And I definitely liked to use the recline!
The '91's were only a few inches shorter, but made all the difference.

They're all "high" though, when it comes to the base height. Common for replacement seats in EB's to train you into that "Bronco hunch" where you lean down to look out the top of the windshield.

As said, not only do the EB sliders retrofit to the Mustang seats, but the dimensions are identical to EB. Almost...
There are four holes, and two indentations on the base of the seats. Drill and tap the rear indentations and your stock sliders and feet bolt right on.

Very comfortable, but as sykanr0ng said, every body/butt is different. So your results may vary.;)

Paul

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
I put the driver side fox seat in my Bronco yesterday. It was pretty simple. I took the slides off the Fox mustang seats, and bolted the Bronco slides to the holes in the front of the seats, then drilled a hole where the back of the slides met the seat frame. I used a regular bolt and self locking nut to attach the back of the slides to the seat frame. I found that I needed 1 washer between the front of the slides and the seat frame and 2 in the back to keep the slide locking mechanism from binding on the bottom of the seat. I also had to straighten out the slide adjustment lever so it wouldn't hit the seat. Hope this makes sense.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
87-93 Seats are more comfortable than the 94+ seats IMO.

84-88 SR5 Toyota Hilux/4Runner are also a good candidate for seats. They have the added benefit of being Recarro seats from the factory.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I just put my Fox body Mustang seats in last week - they look like Fairlaine's seats except original grey tweed color. Used the stock Bronco slider for the driver's side so the bolt holes would match up. It is a bit close to the wheel for me, but much better than the Explorer seats I removed. Low to the floor and nice lumbar control.

Used the Mustang slider on the passenger side with modifications, still need to weld a bar across both sides in the back so the slide works better. Haven't connected the lumbar on this seat yet.

Added the drivers side Hummer seat belt today - I had read about that in a recent post on here. Still need to do the passenger side. Made the mistake and bought 4 belts, so may be selling 2 in the near future.

Overall VERY PLEASED with the seats!!!

Pops

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Pictures of my seats.....I hope!

First, third and last pics are the Fox body Mustang seats. Second picture is the Explorer seats that I removed and am selling. The Explorer seats are really nice IF you are shorter than PROBABLY 5' 10" or so - I am 6' and had to hunch down or look through the top of the windshield frame. The Fox body seats are much lower and solved that problem.

Pops

Attachments

• IMGP1003.jpg
    IMGP1003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 258
  • IMGP0996.jpg
    IMGP0996.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMGP1004.jpg
    IMGP1004.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMGP1007.jpg
    IMGP1007.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 213

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha

First, third and last pics are the Fox body Mustang seats. Second picture is the Explorer seats that I removed and am selling. The Explorer seats are really nice IF you are shorter than PROBABLY 5' 10" or so - I am 6' and had to hunch down or look through the top of the windshield frame. The Fox body seats are much lower and solved that problem.

Pops

Are you able to fold and flip the pass seat,with or without the headrest ?

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Miikee73:

With the headrest on, it will only flip foreward a bit, that is one reason I kept the slider on. I can slide foreward enough without flipping to climb into the back. If slid all the way back, it flips most of the way foreward.

Pops

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pops

Rare to see the older Fox body seats in that nice of condition these days. Very nice!

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
84-88 SR5 Toyota Hilux/4Runner are also a good candidate for seats. They have the added benefit of being Recarro seats from the factory.

Those are very good seats - didn't know they were made by Recaro.

Todd Z.

SoCal69

Loc.
Upland, CA
I just put my Fox body Mustang seats in last week - they look like Fairlaine's seats except original grey tweed color. Used the stock Bronco slider for the driver's side so the bolt holes would match up. It is a bit close to the wheel for me, but much better than the Explorer seats I removed. Low to the floor and nice lumbar control.

Used the Mustang slider on the passenger side with modifications, still need to weld a bar across both sides in the back so the slide works better. Haven't connected the lumbar on this seat yet.

Added the drivers side Hummer seat belt today - I had read about that in a recent post on here. Still need to do the passenger side. Made the mistake and bought 4 belts, so may be selling 2 in the near future.

Overall VERY PLEASED with the seats!!!

Pops
I just got ahold of some fox body seats myself and I'm interested to see the modification you did to the passenger seat track.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ford glued the upholstery to the foam from 1994-1998, those seats are probably best avoided.

The frames of the 1999-2004 are all the same, you can replace a GT foam and upholstery (or whatever trim level you have) with Cobra foam and upholstery (or whatever trim level you choose).

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I used 87 Bronco II SEAT THEY SEND TO FIT MY BACK SIDE Good..
Also the 86+ Lincoln Versatile has a seat that looks a lot like that Mustang seat with the Under Knee Pad. But I Determined that would cost to much to have covered.