• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Bearing help... PLEASE!

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
OK, here's the situation...

31 spline Yukon axles for a BB Early Bronco Ford 9
31 spline trac-loc for a BB Early Bronco Ford 9
Wilwood disc brakes for a BB Early Bronco Ford 9
Measurements of the axles (diagonal measurement from outside part of flange to the end of the spline):
Small one - 26 15/16"
Big one - 29 1/4"

Apparently all of our problems with the rear end are due to purchasing what we thought was a BB Early Bronco Ford 9... but that's not what we have. What we have is out of a Torino (I think).

Either way, I have all the guts for a BB Early Bronco Ford 9. Can someone PLEASE tell me the years of BB Early Bronco Ford 9s that will work with the axles that we already have (measurements above).

OR get me in touch with someone that is knowledgeable about this... I've talked to Randy's and JEff's but I need someone that specializes...

Lastly, if someone does know what I need and has it relatively close to me in Atlanta... please let me know that too :)

Thanks!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
you could always buy a new housing from one of the vendors. i think they're about 400 bucks.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's a handy chart.

Attachments

• Axle%20Chart.jpg
    Axle%20Chart.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 56

iamfastrr

What you more than likely have is a medium duty axle from a '74-'75 Bronco. These had the same big bearing but had the Torino style flange. All other years of Early Bronco big bearings will have the early sytle big bearing flange. The medium duty I believe used 3/8" bolts while the big bearing used 1/2".

Attachments

• Axle%20Chart.jpg
    Axle%20Chart.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 17

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The 77 housing is what you need. There was one in the 4 sale section. north Florida somewhere.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With your axle shaft measurements you would need a 66-75 BB rear end. Which is what you ordered for in the first place.
Measure your axle housing torino rear ends are like 59-61in wide depending on year while a bronco housing is only 58in wide. Worst case I guess you get ahold of some axle company like currie and call them and give them you housing measurements and they should be able to hook you up with shafts. Or just get new housing ends and shorten and install the ends so its the correct lenght. one set of axle shaft measurements I came up with for a torino housing is RH 31 1/8" and LH 29 1/8" I can see where this could cuase a issue by using bronco shafts in a torino housing you probably only had one axle turning and the one that was turning was probably barely catching the splines and eventually stripped.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
With your axle shaft measurements you would need a 66-75 BB rear end. Which is what you ordered for in the first place.
Measure your axle housing torino rear ends are like 59-61in wide depending on year while a bronco housing is only 58in wide. Worst case I guess you get ahold of some axle company like currie and call them and give them you housing measurements and they should be able to hook you up with shafts. Or just get new housing ends and shorten and install the ends so its the correct lenght. one set of axle shaft measurements I came up with for a torino housing is RH 31 1/8" and LH 29 1/8" I can see where this could cuase a issue by using bronco shafts in a torino housing you probably only had one axle turning and the one that was turning was probably barely catching the splines and eventually stripped.

This is right on the money... so all BB rear ends from 66-75 on early bronco's are the same?? and I just need to find one of them?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The housings are the same but the ends can be different. My 74 had torino ends. Everything else is the same. I had some trouble getting disc brakes to fit until I figured out the ends when different. The bronco specific housings should all be the same width though.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well yes and no the 74/75 BB axles sometimes used smaller brakes 10x 2.5" and a different reataining plate bolt pattern. So in that case the backspacing on the shafts will be different from what is considered the BB and big brake rear end which had 11x 2" brakes.
You need to look closely at exactly what axles you have and what brake setup you have so you can get the correct housing. Compare to viperwolfs chart the retainer plate bolt pattern and size will help determine what you have for the axles. But usually 3/8" bolts will be the torino style(medium duty) and 1/2 bolts will be the (BB Std duty)
Overall it may not matter what housing you get as long as the retaining plates match up or you get some that match as your rear disc setup is already matched to your axle shafts.