• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Biggest Tire for Stock 77 Bronco...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
What is the tallest 12.5" wide tire that will fit on a 77 Bronco with CUT fenders and 5.5" suspension lift and 2" body lift without rubbing the radius arms at full turn with no less than 3.5 inches of wheel backspacing?

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
What do you mean by stock? Nothing about the truck you describe is stock for a '77 Bronco. Was the title meant for a different thread?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said. Or were you referring to "stock" vs say, a Bronco converted to a buggy, or at least tubbed to some extent?
And the rubbing of the radius arms has nothing (or very little?) to do with the amount of lift present. Suspension OR body. it's all about the width, height, wheel width and offset that you're describing.

So with 12.50's and assuming 3.5" backspace (max of 3 5/8" for a '77 anyway) on 10" wide wheels, I'd say no more than a 31" tall tire before rubbing!;);D:cry:
If you adjust your steering stops however, you can go as wide as you want. You just lose a lot of your turning radius.

And no, while I might not be perfectly accurate, or exaggerating just a little, I'm not joking either. Even 31x10.50 tires can rub a radius arm if the wheel width and offset is wrong. My 32x11.50's on 8" wide wheels rubbed like a big dog.
With a 12.50" wide tire, anything over a 32 on a 10" wheel is likely to rub at full turn. Going to a narrower wheel will just make that worse. Going to a wheel with more backspacing is going to make it worse even quicker.

With that much lift I assume you're hoping to fit a large tire? You can easily fit 37's with that setup, but will rub the radius arms long before that. So put the tire you want and then adjust the stops. And when that doesn't work, spend for some aftermarket "bent" radius arms. This bend in the area where the tire would hit allows for more clearance.
The right arms are likely to be the most effective way of getting larger tires without rubbing. And being able to keep the EB turning radius.

Good luck.
Let us know what you were hoping for anyway. And I'm sure others will point out if I overstepped any of the pertinent info. But if I did, I don't think it'll be by much.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Thank you Dirtdonk, that's exactly the info I was looking for. By "stock" I meant stock brakes, stock front axle, stock frame, stock steering knuckles, stock radius arms, etc. (I guess I should have titled it "semi-stock") Basically anything that would affect whether the front tires would rub the radius arms or not. Looks like a set of off-set radius arms are in my future. Now for next question... Where will I most likely get the best deal on a good set for a great price?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Now for next question... Where will I most likely get the best deal on a good set for a great price?

Well, I'll add another "good" to that thought. Good luck!;D

Just saying they're not cheap anywhere except used. It's a low-volume production specialty part with safety connotations so are therefore usually overbuilt and a lot of time goes into them.
This is why we don't have a set right now. It just took too long to make our last design, which made it hard to sell and still make money on the deal.

But while not inexpensive, there are still some nice ones out there.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of info on what other members here are using.

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Hard to beat the Duffs....Cage.....Bloody Knuckle....
Better on road handling than the longer Proto-Fab, TBP, JBG, All For Fun type arms.
I love Duff Blue.....but they come in a gray powder coat too...