• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

biggest tire on stock rack?

curts77

Loc.
Ketchum,Idaho
whats the biggest tire you have seen on a stock tailgate rack?would a 33"swamper stress it too much?thanks for any advice.

BLU74

Loc.
Folsom, CA
I've got some old off-brand mud tire on my stock rack. It's a 33, and its a little too wide for the rack. I have to slam it shut, and it still doesn't latch quite right. The latch has actually taken a chunk out of the rubber. Sometimes if I hit a bump just right, my rack swings open :-[

OP
OP
C

curts77

Loc.
Ketchum,Idaho
I was going to make a bracket that holds the tire away from the body just a little more than stock,but im wondering if I will torque my corner body panel where it is attached.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Build a plate shaped like an L on the bumper. Rest the tire on there so the rack only supports forward and back movement.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=11633;start=0#85498 date=1038120387]<br>Build a plate shaped like an L on the bumper. Rest the tire on there so the rack only supports forward and back movement.<br>[/quote]<br><br>check the clearance when dropping your tailgate.

OP
OP
C

curts77

Loc.
Ketchum,Idaho
Think I will try and attach the support to my swing rack?maybe put a rubber cover on the foot that will rest on bumper for protection and act as a shock.think this will work?

SURFMUR

Loc.
Houston, TX
I put some reinforcement around the latch area and also on the piece that holds the weight of the tire. I have been running a 33x9.5(keeps the weight down vs a 33x12.5) spare for about six years and no problems. Though when I have had to use my spare It looks pretty silly on the truck.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=11633;start=0#85498 date=1038120387]<br>Build a plate shaped like an L on the bumper. Rest the tire on there so the rack only supports forward and back movement.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I was thinking of doing the same thing, olny using a curved plate to support the tire. Hopefully, it would add some left, right stability. Don't have a clue if it would really work.<br><br>Brian

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
JC Whitney sells a tire carrier for $47 that slides in to a 2" receiver hitch. It resembles one of those bike racks, but holds a spare tire instead (I think up to 35" or something).