• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bilstein 5165 - Advice on which set up i should get

rodez

Loc.
somerton-yuma
Hello everyone,
I'm done some research on the archive files but I still haven't found an answer to my inquiry.
I have a 73 Bronco, with a 3.5" suspension kit from Tom's Bronco, 33 tires, with shock hoops, and I want/need to replace the shocks.

The Bronco is used specifically for off-roading on Dunes 100% of the time. The problem i have is that it bounces back and forth like a sig-saw on small hills or trail roads, and it looses momentum while riding up the dune.

I want to get 1 shock for each corner of the Bronco (that's what i can afford right now). What type of valving should I get on the 5165s and also how do i pick out the length of the shock?

Here is a pic of my bronco...
11698679_947407768615221_4800813593076777932_n.jpg

And here are 4 videos of the type of off-roading that I do so you can get a better idea as to what i need on the shocks. Thanks ahead for the advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEooR3i8MQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcQOsf85JJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLIYMGIQS9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijpD5pT2XP4

SeanT4x4

I don't know what springs Toms uses but I have a wild horses 2.5" kit that came with Bilstein shock that were valved to match their progressive rate springs.

I dont imagine Toms springs are a whole lot different than the WH so that might be a good place to check.

By the way the bilsteins made a huge difference in ride from the old school duff shocks that were on my rig.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sean,

I believe this is the number for Tech support down your way. They were helpful when I went to Bilsteins.

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA. 92064
1-858-386-5900

I went with 5125s and here is how it turned out. Wild Horses can order any of the Bilstein shock and can also help with advice.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240635

Good luck

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
measuring is easy:
measure it at ride height from eye to eye then at full droop then at full compression. that will give you your range of travel. then find a shock that fits that range. i like to leave a little on the table for the compression side especially for what your doing. nothing screws a shock faster than bottoming it out.

dunes are awesome! why do i live in a place with so much mud LoL

your rig is Saweet!

moses_m

went with 2.5 wild horse and bilis as well. Had no issues going up the dunes in cuervos but they are smaller. Have not tried the bigger dunes on the other side of san luis. reyna cruz etc. Maybe this fall or winter I can catch a travesia or poker run that way. Have you tried taking one off each side and just running with one on each side?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Oh yes the valving matters a lot!

As a starting point 360/80 for the front and 255/70 for the rear unless your rear leaves have spacers between the leaves and tip sliders on every leaf, then 275/78 for the rear. The rear should be pretty close, but the front's might need some tuning once your get a feel for how they behave in your driving style.

OP
OP
rodez

rodez

Loc.
somerton-yuma

As a starting point 360/80 for the front and 255/70 for the rear unless your rear leaves have spacers between the leaves and tip sliders on every leaf, then 275/78 for the rear. The rear should be pretty close, but the front's might need some tuning once your get a feel for how they behave in your driving style.

Thanks for the advice!

brewchief

Dang, I just put a set of 255/70 on the front of my bronco, I was going to go with the 360/80 but the place I ordered from didn't have them in stock. I guess the 255/70 will have to get moved to the rear after next weeks trip and something firmer up front.

OP
OP
rodez

rodez

Loc.
somerton-yuma
Dang, I just put a set of 255/70 on the front of my bronco, I was going to go with the 360/80 but the place I ordered from didn't have them in stock. I guess the 255/70 will have to get moved to the rear after next weeks trip and something firmer up front.

can you let us know if it does make a difference once you switch them to the back? thanks

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Just for the record, my recommendations - except for the 275/78 w/low friction leafs, that is personal experience - are straight out of Bilstein's recommendations. Not like I'm some Bils guru or something.

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
sorry to bring up old posts but just wondering if you ended up going with the bilstein's and if you did what you thought about them, im also in the process of getting new shocks/ suspension upgrades and debating on going with dual shocks or single bilstines i do similar type of off roading as you also