• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BlackBox-i Planetary GearBox for your Atlas, StaK, Dana300 and Bronco Dana20

northwestfab

Loc.
Parksville, BC
Introducing...

blackboxilogoblack.jpg

The absolute latest in underdrive technology:

Instead of the age-old system of the gearbox splining onto the existing transfer case splines, the latest version of the blackbox - dubbed the blackbox-i for integrated - replaces the input shaft and bearing retainer on the transfercase. This means the transfercase's input gear slides directly onto the BlackBox output shaft and thus creating a 'single' transfer case unit.

bbi11-t.JPG
bbi9-t.JPG

How much length will it add to my current set-up?​

This is top reason we have created this underdrive unit. The complete unit is only 5" long! It gets better. Because it replaces large input or clocking ring on some tcases it may add less than 5" to your existing setup. For example, when used in a STaK or Atlas II application, the BlackBox-i will add only 4"! In some cases it is shorter than stock; A blackbox-i coupled to a Dana300 is shorter than stock wranger NP231!

bbi12-t.JPG

Reliability:

Complete RollerBearing Support:

The BlackBox-i is the only Planetary Gear Box that has a bearing support at both the input and output of the mainshaft. Our competitors rely on the input splines and bearing of your transfer case to both center and support all the output load of the gearbox. Not here.

Self-sufficient Unit:

The BlackBox-i is a closed system and does NOT rely on fluids from your transfer case. It has its own drain plug , fill plug, and breather.

4140 Chromoly Mainshaft:

The BlackBox-i uses a 4140 Mainshaft that has been through-hardened for the ultimate in shaft strength. Looking for a weak link? Look elsewhere.

Hard Anodized Black:

All of our Black Box Gear Boxes are hard anodized black, giving a lasting constistant surface finish. This small detail can make all the difference in coastal climates and in trucks that are exposed to de-icing salt and chemicals.

Compatability?

The BlackBox-i is compatable with the following transfer cases that have a input gear seperate from the input shaft.

------ Bronco Dana 20
------ Jeep Dana 300
------ Atlas II
------ StaK line

The input of the blackbox is most directly compatible with domestic transmissions and transfer cases that share the common '6 bolt round' transfer case pattern. These applications will allow integration of the Black Box with few or no adaptors required.

The blackbox-i is currently avaialable with input spline counts of 21, 23, 27, 29, 31, and 32.

bbi1-t.JPG
bbi5-t.JPG
bbi3-t.JPG

What the Kit Includes:

-----(1) BlackBox-i Planetary Gear Unit 2.72:1 Ratio
-----(1) Complete Cable Shifter Assembly
-----(1) Complete Hardware Kit
-----(1) Gasket Kit

Simple Install

View the picture by picture INSTALLATION MANUAL on our website's TECH SECTION

Complete Package Deals!

-We are an Advanced Adapters Dealer! Want a 4speed but can't order one? Call us for a Quote on a Atlas 2 speed / Blackbox-i 4speed combo! Order through us and have the added option of us installing the Blackbox-i for you.

bbishipment2.png
bbishipment.png

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
I was one of the first to get one. Put it on my atlas,It's a real nice addition and shifts nice.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Question for you. Is there any provisions for mounting bosses or do you know how others have mounted this to a crossmemeber? I'm mighty interested also...

Any chance of a mass buy? (well somebody had to ask)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh man...I see the D20 HD output shaft market heating up. Sweet unit. I may have to rethink my transfer case plans.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so, could an overdrive be worked into this also? I understand this is an underdrive unit...

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I think some work needs to be done in order to mount this with a cross member BELOW the unit, but I can't that it would be too bad.

I'd have to see one in person to see the fab options.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm pretty sure your adapter bolts between this and the transmission still, otherwise it wouldn't be adding length. the plus to that would be that your crossmember would still be in the same spot. the minus to that is that your rear driveline would be 5" shorter.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm pretty sure it doesn't. it has the same six holes on the end of it as your transfer case, not the bolt pattern of the transmission. i'll wait for these guys to chime in but i'm pretty sure it goes between the adapter and tcase and doesn't replace the adapter.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
it would be nice if they made it to replace the adapter as that would shorten the setup but then they would have to have different housings for every trans/tcase combo.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i dont see instructions for the bronco version. the instructions for the atlas says you can if it's the right bolt patter but it doesn't say which transmissions it'll bolt right up to. in one of the pictures it's marked th350.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I will be doing a build thread of the install on my AOD- NWF recommends adding another crossmember to supprt the transfercase once the doubler is installed at the transfercase, you would also use the factory position at the tailhousing. Im thinking about going with the triple cabble shifter but I am going to get it all in the trck first

This unit bolts to 6 bolt round common pattern found on many transmissions- ie- C6 4wd/AOD 4wd and jeeps/gms ect and different inputs. Kyle will chime in with info. If there are people that want adapters made Im sure he will entertain/ I spoke with him yesterday a little bit about the C4 people out there.