• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blew my Trac-Loc

galen1970b

So...i think i blew my trac loc.....Just finished doing some tuning for my EFI system the truck was eating through gas and seemed to bog down all the time....figured out my issue was timing....once i corrected that problem. THe motor came back oh so much stronger....So when I popped the clutch I heard a Bang! which is definatly no bueno....I stopped...and gently got going again, I didnt feel or hear anything grinding. when I got to the house i jacked up the rear end and now there is a ton(1/8-1/4 wheel turn) of slop before the other wheel engages....when it does its still smooth no grinding.....but when I decel or turn it kind jerks into place..

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bummer...could be...if it is, it will get worse with time. I busted one up in the woods and needed 4WD to get out, so between the first "BANG" where it let loose and the highway, it went from an occasional pop to a near constant, full-auto machine-gun style sound. Once I cleared the last obstacle, I limped it home in front wheel drive. The diff was pretty well destroyed by that point and I will never recommend the Trac-Loc to anyone with tires over 31" or any real HP/torque without at least upgrading to the billet cover. At that point though, you're close to the cost of a True-Trac, which is a better unit IMO and doesn't change performance with wear.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I blew up the spiders in mine shortly after EFI. Good reason to upgrade.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
maybe you stripped the spline on the axle. Trac -Loc like to do that.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Three posts and three different common potential failure modes...'nuff said.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Well...Im fairly certain its not an axle.....Everything thats goin on is in-line with Apogees experiance. I ordered yukons dura grip trac loc to replace it with. I thought about the true-trac...but I'm moving to to Japan...so I am hitting the road next monday to get the ttruck to my parents in seattle...So time and budget picked the part for me.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ive busted 2 trac locs on my 73 first time the clutch cover blew out which is very commom. It made a loud pop I figured Id blown a spider gear. Driving normal it was fine but step on the gas hard and it would pop. Replaced the cover with a billet steel one and about 10 years later busted the whole case while going up a hill just off idle in 2wd. Broke both bearing caps on the pumpkin and the 2 pinion case itself. Pulled the rear drive shaft and drove 16 miles home on the front. The clutch cover was unhurt. Used it with a 4pinion case.
Ive stuck with the trac loc because I really didnt want to spend the $$ for a new diff and axle shafts but really its a better way to go you get a strong unit and stronger axles.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Ive busted 2 trac locs on my 73 first time the clutch cover blew out which is very commom. It made a loud pop I figured Id blown a spider gear. Driving normal it was fine but step on the gas hard and it would pop. Replaced the cover with a billet steel one and about 10 years later busted the whole case while going up a hill just off idle in 2wd. Broke both bearing caps on the pumpkin and the 2 pinion case itself. Pulled the rear drive shaft and drove 16 miles home on the front. The clutch cover was unhurt. Used it with a 4pinion case.
Ive stuck with the trac loc because I really didnt want to spend the $$ for a new diff and axle shafts but really its a better way to go you get a strong unit and stronger axles.

I just pulled my rear drive-line and drove 13 miles. I didn't hear any grinding noises, the left side seemed to grab when i made tight turns....but I kept it under 30 and stopped turning so tight(when i had too) but i got back to base. I was finishing up moving out of my house into temp lodging before I drive to Arizona(in-laws..) next Monday then seattle(then ultimatly Japan..). Hopefully that dura-grip wont suck, I havent seen to many reviews about them. It gets here friday, so I'll get it into the hobby shop and on a lift...the swap should be pretty quick.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The Yukon is just a trac loc might be better built as far as the case goes. But like you said not many reviews. I really wouldnt worry to much it will get you where you need to go. Did you get new bearings for the carrier? Hopefully they sent you the right one as broncos usually have center sections that use the smaller side bearings. If they send the wrong one Id hit up the junkyard for a pickup center section they have the bigger side bearings. Yeah I know you dont need something else to worry about during a PCS move. But its how things tend to go at these times. Actual swap out shouldnt take long setting up the gears will probably take the longest. Good luck.
Another junkyard option you may consider is finding a center section out of a older ford van or early 70's or earlier ford truck as most had 28 spline axles so you could probably find something that you could just swap out fast. Worry about swapping the diff later. Just be careful with vans they tend to have 3.25 or higher ratios. a pickup should get you 3.50's

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

The Yukon is just a trac loc might be better built as far as the case goes. But like you said not many reviews. I really wouldnt worry to much it will get you where you need to go. Did you get new bearings for the carrier? Hopefully they sent you the right one as broncos usually have center sections that use the smaller side bearings. If they send the wrong one Id hit up the junkyard for a pickup center section they have the bigger side bearings. Yeah I know you dont need something else to worry about during a PCS move. But its how things tend to go at these times. Actual swap out shouldnt take long setting up the gears will probably take the longest. Good luck.
Another junkyard option you may consider is finding a center section out of a older ford van or early 70's or earlier ford truck as most had 28 spline axles so you could probably find something that you could just swap out fast. Worry about swapping the diff later. Just be careful with vans they tend to have 3.25 or higher ratios. a pickup should get you 3.50's

Yeah, its got all new everything in the diff, I'm pretty sure everything got contained in the carrier housing, otherwise I would have heard some gnarly grating/grinding sounds going down the road, I had the truck dead quiet while driving and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Ill get it apart friday, and if i need anything else I'll overnight everything to be ready monday..if I leave a day late...well, i could think of worse things.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well Im only meaning that you should probably consider new bearings for your new Diff. As the old bearings would have to be pulled off the old diff to install on the new one. Sometimes they can get damaged. You should be able to get them locally in any case.

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

Hers whats left of my spider gears! Didnt hurt the ring and pionion or the bearings...so I lucked out.....new bearings going in anyway.. uploadfromtaptalk1434125940070.jpg

OP
OP
galen1970b

galen1970b

New Duragrip installed only took 3 hours!
5dea2d69c241aa7d17552600690d3134.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434143176062.jpg