• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

blinking headlights???

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
I installed a new light switch a couple of weeks ago in my 71 sport. going to dinner this evening all of a sudden the headlights starting blinking as if the emergency blinkers were switched on. we turned around and headed back home with the lights blinking on and off.... probably 15 minutes on dark back roads. I kept toying with the switch ans it seemed as if light downward pressure on the light switch knob stopped the blinking on and off. I would appreciate any thoughts on this problem and what is most likely the cause! thanks in advance for your help.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm fairly new to Bronco's but in the old Mustangs there is a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. Someone else will chime in who knows much more than me!

Was the switch replaced due to headlights blinking on/off before? Or is this a new symptom?

Are the headlights stock or modern replacements that might draw more current?

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
How’s the over all wiring ? If it’s not a bad switch......Any way it sounds more like a common problem. All of the load goes through the switch and sometimes it over heats and causes it. The vendors have a wiring kit the takes the load of the switch and runs it through some relays. I had this happen to me a few years back. The kits solved it and worked flawless for years. I have since replaced all my wires so I think I may have the wiring kit hanging around. If your interested PM me

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Wiring-Harness-66-77-ford-bronco-new

I tried to email you back but I don’t think it went through. I looked for my old kit but I can’t find it

Last edited:

68Broncoz

Contributor
I had it it happen and it was the switch. I agree with the upgrade if you have older wiring and updated headlights

TNcowboy

Happened to me a few weeks back while headed back from Knoxville on I-40. Started flashing about halfway back. Some poor guy ahead of me must have thought I was a trooper trying to pull him over since he went straight to the shoulder.

Didn't know whether to laugh or apologize so I rolled on...rough ride home.

Bad switch

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade to some better lighting! our headlights come with a relay harness that doesn't pull headlight power from the switch, it just uses the switch circuit to trigger a relay which pulls power from the battery.

Check them out, we have some great Black Friday specials going on now too. www.HIDprojectors.com

Attachments

• Install on a Bronco after.jpg
    Install on a Bronco after.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 19

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Old threads on this topic have also claimed an old dimmer switch can contribute to this issue. I recently had it happen to my 72 and I replaced the light switch and the dimmer switch. Problem solved. I have had the issue on previous Broncos and just did the relay fix. Again problem solved. But I think only doing the relays is just masking the real problem. Doing both is certainly a “belt and suspenders” solution - redundancy is great when driving on a curvy road on a moonless night!

Also upgrading to LEDs is another solution as they draw less current and are less likely to trip the thermal switch.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too was going to say happens all the time.
& Has happened to me about 4 different time on my same Bronco.
I've replaced my Dimmer several times . It's very cheap & easy to change .
I believe it more likely the head light switch But it harder to change .But can be in 45 minutes.so change it also .
& Mine has an after market wiring harness & no longer the stock one. But new wiring is great but very expensive . SO Try the other stuff 1st if you just fixing the blinking .
I bought on of the after market Headlight harness for our Broncos. It cost about $30.00
& It CAME with a relay installed in it . This is supposed to work & most membership here says it fixed theirs. But it did not fix mine . iN JUST ABOUT 6 MONTHS I WAS BACK TO FLASHING ...Now I felt when I bought this harness that it need to be mfg. with larger wire in it . I've started to remove this one & Built myself one with 14ga wire in it. The one I bought I felt may have had 18ga wire. I was shaking my head when I installed it.
... SO I'd say as Heus33 said . As it's a great time to upgrade your lighting to stronger & ones that use less amperage. . I'm wanting a new set of LED LIGHT & a NEW Relay style harness.
I'm about to check out Heus33 post.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
It was great chatting with you!

Here are a few pics of our Classic headlights installed.

The bronco and the chevy have the silver painted housing (more of a stock look).

the mustang has a black housing for a bit of a more modern / sporty look.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Install on a Bronco final.jpg
    Install on a Bronco final.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 1955-chevy-210-wagon-Rev2 Classic.jpg
    1955-chevy-210-wagon-Rev2 Classic.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4658.jpg
    IMG_4658.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 15

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i just installed a new headlight switch and all my lights and guages started working all goofy. im gona throw this brand new switch in the drink and order another new one. Typical shitty bronco parts

OP
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Contributor
Loc.
concord, nc
well this seems to be a rather commonplace problem. I ordered the relay kit a, dimmer switch, and a new headlight switch. once installed, hopefully this will resolve the problem! thanks for all the comments.