• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blowing turn signal and brake light fuses

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Doing my last check before heading West and I don't have turn signals. I checked bulbs, they are OK. Checked turn signal fuse and it is blown. Replaced fuse, turn key on and lift turn signal lever - fuse blows. I'm replacing with smart fuses, so I can see right away when they blow. Just for grins, I check brakes. No brake lights.. Check fuse and it's blown. Replace fuse, hit brake pedal and fuse blows. All other lights (tail lights, side markers, headlights) work fine. Just blowing those two fuses. I picked my truck up today from a transmission rebuild. Any chance one of the mechanics smashed a wire or something? What's the best way to troubleshoot this? I've got a centech harness, btw.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Very good chance of a smashed wire right where the cross member meets the frame.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can unplug the rear harness and see if it still blows fuses. The connector will be right behind the drivers side inner fender.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, it wasn't anything obvious. To compound the problem, the wiring was done during a frame off and we decided to run things inside the cab. Hindsight, maybe that wasn't a great idea. Anyway, in addition -- I'm not sure "when" the problem started happening. I got it back a few weeks ago from a new EFI install, and it's REAL possible that's when it started because I took it straight from there to the body shop for a new hood then straight to the transmission shop for a new converter. So I haven't had it in my possession for more than a day or so since the new EFI was installed. They were all over the wiring harness, so I'm betting a wire got dinked up during that process. I disconnected the front blinkers trying to isolate the problem, but they still blew so I can rule them out. I'll do the same to the rear assemblies, but I'm loaded up headed to Moab. Maybe when I'm there some electrical genius can help me troubleshoot it. I'm good running trails with no brake lights and turn signals...

Attachments

• 625 [800x600].jpg
    625 [800x600].jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 626 [800x600].jpg
    626 [800x600].jpg
    129 KB · Views: 21
  • 630 [800x600].jpg
    630 [800x600].jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 25

KBUCK1

Well, it wasn't anything obvious. To compound the problem, the wiring was done during a frame off and we decided to run things inside the cab. Hindsight, maybe that wasn't a great idea. Anyway, in addition -- I'm not sure "when" the problem started happening. I got it back a few weeks ago from a new EFI install, and it's REAL possible that's when it started because I took it straight from there to the body shop for a new hood then straight to the transmission shop for a new converter. So I haven't had it in my possession for more than a day or so since the new EFI was installed. They were all over the wiring harness, so I'm betting a wire got dinked up during that process. I disconnected the front blinkers trying to isolate the problem, but they still blew so I can rule them out. I'll do the same to the rear assemblies, but I'm loaded up headed to Moab. Maybe when I'm there some electrical genius can help me troubleshoot it. I'm good running trails with no brake lights and turn signals...
My new centech harness kept blowing those fuses and found out it was the wires at the brake switch on the pedal. The connected would barely touch the pedal housing assembly and blow the fuse.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm loaded up headed to Moab. Maybe when I'm there some electrical genius can help me troubleshoot it. I'm good running trails with no brake lights and turn signals...

Which campground you going to be in?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Staying in a condo about 1.5 mi from Moab Rim campground (according to maps). Are you going to be there?

I did a drive by early last night but we'll be coming out with the Bronco on Tuesday.