• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

blowing turn signal/brake fuse

Razorbackbronco

Hey guys this just started up yesterday. I've got a 71 with a new painless harness and a Dakota gauge.

My first problem is that when I turn on my left or right blinker both the front signals blink and the dakota gauge blinks like the hazards are on. The rear lights, however work correctly and only one side blinks. I have checked the grounds on the front turn buckets and they are nice and tight and connected to the front core support. I also have no front park lights, the wiring is simply unplugged. The hazard lights do work correctly.

So I've lived with the front signals being wacky, because the rear ones are working fine, but yesterday I started to blow the 15 amp mini fuse for the brake/turn signal. Are blown fuses usually because of a short? I couldn't get it to blow while sitting in my driveway, but it will consistently blow within 10-15 minutes. I have noticed that the Dakota gauge lights will flash bright for just a split second and then after that the fuse is blown.

Any ideas on where to start?

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

Well I just ordered a new turn signal switch. I know the one that's in it is original so I thought I'd start there. Could a bad switch cause my signal fuse to blow?
What's strange is the Dakota is flashing like the hazards are on and so are the front signals but the rear ones are working right

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's possible that a broke contact wire in the turn switch is causing all this. Bad grounds can't blow fuses.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

I got my new switch in today and it's the same thing as before. Front I have both flashing and the rear is working right.
I did notice that my electric fuel pump was making a surging sound as the lights flashed. I have it wired into the green/red wire at the voltage regulator.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

At the turn signal switch I can see the voltage on both front signals when I put one side of the blinker on.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
New painless harness? Has it worked since the harness was installed? Is your hazard switch working and off?