• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blown Engine?

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Did I just blow up my engine??

Here's the scenario: For the last day or two, I have noticed a small fuel leak. The gas was dripping in between the back of the engine and the bellhousing. All the lines were secure and couldn't find a leak. Tonight when I started her up, she ran real rough and was smoking like mad (not super white smoke). When I shut her off there was lots of oil dripping/pouring out where I had seen the fuel leaking.

What are your thoughts? Head gasket? Or something much worse? I guess I will start the tear down tomorrow and hope for the best.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My guess would be bad fuel pump. The diaphram has failed and is pumping gas into the crankcase. Oil/gas is probably leaking out the rear main seal. I'd check the oil level if its over full and smells of gas then thats your issue. shouldnt need a rebuild just a new pump, oil and fliter. Or the rear main seal has just failed and is leaking a lot doesnt explain your gas leak or running rough issue but Its hard to just say you've blown your engine because it runs rough and has leaks. might want to check your coolent level as well if its low then yes you may have a head gasket issue,

OP
OP
demesauce

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I hope you're right, I'll take a look tomorrow, but here's the thing; although the old mechanical pump is in place, I recently installed an electric fuel pump. So I wouldn't think there is much fuel in the old pump. And all the old fuel lines are gone.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Check the oil.

My guess is you have a jammed needle and seat on the carb. Sliver of rubber fuel line is very common. Holds the needle open, fills the fuel bown and it starts to overflow. Usually it dumps it into the engine and it runs bad. But I don't know what you are running?

Are you sure it is fuel? There isn't many places it can leak from and drip on the ground. Somewhere between the tank and the carb are about your only choices. Look harder.

Running the pump without running the engine with a stuck needle and seat could (partially) fill a cylinder with gas. Attempting to start in this condition can cause that cylinder to hydraulic. Liquid is not compressible, running engine trying to compress an uncompressible cylinder hydraulicly locks that hole. Bad things can happen, usually bent rod(s) all the way to lots of broken stuff.

OP
OP
demesauce

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Well I run a Holley TBI setup with an inline electric fuel pump. But the other day I left the keys in the ignition, in the ON position. When I realized it a few days later, battery was completely drained. There was a strong smell of fuel and a clear liquid dripping, so I assumed it was gas.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ah the rest of the story. Well that rules out bad mechanical fuel pump. I've seen TBI injectors just leak so leaving the key on could have done it. You may have something worng with the TBI as well and now its running poorly.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Did you check the oil level? If its high it may have gas in it it needs to be drained. Coolent level ect? Usually if you blow a head gasket you normally have symptoms like coolent leaks, water in your oil and high engine temps. If you have none of this then I would suspect you have a issue with the TBI
As long as all the other things check oput I'd try running the engine to try and figure out whats happening.

gladkin

I would pull the plugs to make sure none of the cylinders are full of fuel as "broncobowsher" said about compressing fluid in the cylinder. Very bad news if that is the case. Then remove plug from the ignition coil so you don't get a spark. Crank it over a couple times to get anything out of the cylinders.

After that you can perform a compression test before you put the plugs back in. That will tell you if your cylinders and heads are good. All cylinders should be within 10% or so of each other.

Then you should be safe to try starting again without fear of any latent damage do to heavy fuel leaking into the cylinder.

OP
OP
demesauce

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
So all the cylinders were at 180 psi during the compression test, except one. #6 only registered 160 psi. Pretty close to the 10%.

Coolant looks normal. Gonna drain the oil, replace the rear main seal, and buy a 302 core for a future rebuild (worse case scenario)

OP
OP
demesauce

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I did check it. It seemed a little high, but when I drained it, the fluid was very runny/watery and smelled very strongly of fuel. And a quart had already drained/spilled out while idling

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Gas in oil will wash your bearings down and pretty much kill the life expentancy of your engine...