• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body and frame together again-Underbody finishing opinions?

mebco09

Question -Opinions?

What do you guys use for undercoating? I have a mixture of products underneath a finished body. What looks like bedliner, original type and old undercoating, maybe some rubberized seam sealer.

I bought the Bronco this way, maybe went overboard finishing the frame, now I don't want to marry up the two and have an ugly underbody.

Any clean ways to strip off old undercoating?

Body is finish painted, but might need to be repainted. (Story for another thread.)

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Progress 1-2021.jpg
    Progress 1-2021.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 78

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know about the stripping part, because that would depend on the durability of whatever is on there now. Undercoating is not usually too difficult (but it's still time consuming!) but a bedliner material could be a nightmare.
With existing coatings, it won't do you any good to use something like Lizard Skin sound deadener, because it's meant to go directly on the metal. If it's a mix of stuff now, perhaps just a simple overcoat of undercoat to give it more consistency?

Undercoating will usually stop noise better than some bedliners, but other bedliners are quite decent at noise reduction too. not sure about heat, but those are the things i think of when coating a body. Heat and sound...

Good luck.

Paul