• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body dolly design needed.

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
Ok guys. I purchased an 86 Mustang GT today. I will be taking the V8 Motor out of it and that will be my donor motor. Looking to go with AFR heads on the newly rebuilt bottom end. Still up in the air on the intake set up yet. I still like the Weber EFI set up. But i now have the old EFI set up off the GT so if I go that way I have it..

I now want to start pulling the cab off the chassis and I see some guys have made a nice wooden dolly set up. can I get a design or measurement so I can build one for my body?

Happy New Year everyone and great happiness and health in 2014.
Jerry

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
Mines more of a pallet than a dolly. but it was pretty simple. just measured length and then the elevation at each body mount. set the body on it and lagged through the body mount holes in the floor. Best of luck with your new build!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's mine:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2246039&postcount=32

The actual document can be downloaded from the post. I believe I ended up having to move the front 2 posts 3/4-1 inch higher. Bronco's aren't NASA spec so set it on the back 6, then re-check the front 2

Use good caster wheels. I blew out a cheap set once. I occasionally use 2 cheap HF mover's dolly's, one under the middle of each axle, to move it over rougher surfaces.

74NJBronco

Loc.
Livingston, NJ
Here's mine:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2246039&postcount=32

The actual document can be downloaded from the post. I believe I ended up having to move the front 2 posts 3/4-1 inch higher. Bronco's aren't NASA spec so set it on the back 6, then re-check the front 2

Use good caster wheels. I blew out a cheap set once. I occasionally use 2 cheap HF mover's dolly's, one under the middle of each axle, to move it over rougher surfaces.

AZ73, you do some fine work. I removed my tub using your method of angle irons and bolts. Followed you measurements and all. Worked out great for tub removal with a skid steer.

I plan to use your knowledge again when I build the body cart. Lucky for me I have all the necessary lumber in my garage. Keep the great advice and detailed drawings coming. Thanks, from a big fan.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AZ73, you do some fine work. I removed my tub using your method of angle irons and bolts. Followed you measurements and all. Worked out great for tub removal with a skid steer.

I plan to use your knowledge again when I build the body cart. Lucky for me I have all the necessary lumber in my garage. Keep the great advice and detailed drawings coming. Thanks, from a big fan.

Thanks! Pay it forward. That's how I learned.

OP
OP
C

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
I have the pdf printed makes me want to run to HD right now and get the wood. By the way love your hauling truck. AWESOME.
thanks Jerry

Pat B

I shamelessly copied AZ73's......Why mess with a good design?

Pat

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One last note. Depending on the casters you choose, you might want to add a piece of 2X4 between them and the axle. I originally used smaller casters and it sat so low I couldn't get my engine hoist legs under it. Been a while, forgot about that. Here's the first attempt. I had to roll the casters on some scrape 2X10 to get it high enough.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2246024&postcount=31

OP
OP
C

cool66bronco

Loc.
Hatfield PA
AZ73 great photo's of your process. Also picked up an idea for lifting off chassis. Wish we were having your kind of weather here right now would make an old mans work much easier.
thank you again for your input.
Happy New Year.
Jerry