• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body lift for AOD trans

Tompkins007

I’m about to install an AOD trans in my ‘69 EB. I believe I need to lift the body for clearance. Is one inch enough?

OP
OP
T

Tompkins007

My 50+ yr old body mount bushings are shot so I was going to get after those anyway, but, good to hear that lifting the body is not necessary.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, new ones are a big help. The extra 1" from the lifts helps with access to all sorts of things, but yeah, it's nice to hear it's not 100% needed. I thought it was a requirement (and mine has it) but apparently not.

Will you be using a floor shifter, or column shift?

Paul

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Body lift and AOD

All,

I ran an AOD for 6 years with no body lift and had no issues. However, when I switched to the ZF during my rebuild, it required at least a 1 inch to keep the transmission from smashing into the floor pan. Tompkins007, good luck.

v/r,

SevenT

OP
OP
T

Tompkins007

Thanks all. I will be using a floor shifter that I have not obtained yet. Wonder if the Lokar shifter will work with twin sticks?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To make a Lokar work I had to use a cable shift. I could not get a rod to clear everything that was needed. With a cable shift, you can put the shifter anywhere you want/need.

OP
OP
T

Tompkins007

Yep that’s what I was thinking. What was your source for the cable? Does lokar make one?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Lokar makes the cable. Just call them. they can set you up. I put a floor shifter in mine with the cable. I have a twin stick 205, I dont think it will make any difference if you have a 20. perhaps easier. Be prepared to make a bracket to hold the cable by the transmission, not hard.