• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Lift Question

BulldogBronco

So I want to do a 1in body lift but don’t really have the space or know how to do it. I’ve got a guy I’ve used for other bigger projects and I’m probably going to use him but no one can give me a decent idea of how long it should take at a professional shop. I know there are factors like how many bolts you have to cut, etc but does anyone know roughly how long it might take? Trying to budget as best as possible.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
When I did mine, I was able to complete most of the lift in a day. All that was needed was a floor jack and a 4X4 to lift one side at a time. I used a Sawsall to cut out the old bushings and cages. Big dirty job, but nothing particularly difficult.
Adjusting the steering column support, longer clutch rod, and raising the radiator took another day.
If you pro has everything on hand, he might be able to do the whole job in a day.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
X2

Did mine in a weekend. Same process....Made some brackets to lower the fan shroud. Had to cut a couple bolts. Soaked the heck out of them with PB Blaster the day before....and used air tools.

My old bushings were so bad my 1BL was really like 1.5 to 2

Tim

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Thanks guys, my mechanics shop rate is 95/HR so just thinking if I should use him or ask around.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks guys, my mechanics shop rate is 95/HR so just thinking if I should use him or ask around.

NO!
Find a place and do it yourself.
Sure, you'll get half way through and think "now this was a dumb idea" but how else are you going to learn your way around the car?
I did mine all alone at 60 years old.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Not a bad rate but that's why I do everything myself.......can't afford the rate.

Do it yourself. As I recall it's 8 bolts.......remove (cut if needed, jack it up, remove old, add new and put the bolt back in. Loosen the steering column, fan shroud and clutch linkage before you start. Listen and watch for anything that binds as you lift.

Only one real tricky thing.....there is a hole in the frame below the two behind the seats. Cover them with tape or lose things in the frame FOREVER.....:)

Tim

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
If you have a manual, you will also need to adjust the shift rod length. Not sure about an automatic.

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
I just did my own this summer and i agree with some of the others. Please don't spend a days shop rate to do this job. Its a great way to get to know your bronco and its easy.. All the parts have been listed and what to watch for, however, I did find two rear frame body mount holes to be worn a little and I did have to run to the store and grab a couple of heavy washers to recreate the proper sizing of mounting holes. It could happen and if it does, don't sweat it. As for my shroud, i just trimmed out the lower radius of the shroud to accommodate, it looks good and is functional.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do things myself so it s done they way I want it.
Power wash the bottom of the truck, spray every bolt with wd40, loosen everything that might get pulled shift linkage, radiator etc and go to town,

mrdrnac

Contributor
NO!
Find a place and do it yourself.
Sure, you'll get half way through and think "now this was a dumb idea" but how else are you going to learn your way around the car?
I did mine all alone at 60 years old.

Same story here, glad I did it myself....now!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I agree with the others, it's a super easy job and will be a good learning experience for a beginner.