• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body lift? - want to run 351W and AOD

GrayB

I'm about to build a custom cage that I'm going to tie into the frame (via sandwich plates). I'm trying to figure out whether I need/want a body lift before I start. Right now I'm running a 2.5" suspension lift and 33" tires with a 302 and NP435. I want to eventually run a 351W with an AOD and Atlas, and larger tires. I'm open to increasing my suspension lift later, so my biggest concern is fitting the 351W and AOD, rather than tires. Also, I'd love to retain my stock hood if possible.

Will I need a body lift? If so, how big should I go?

I've had people tell me to avoid a body lift, although I've heard lately that more people are using them to maintain a lower center of gravity and clear larger tires.

Thanks very much,
Gray

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
I put a 1" BL on mine right before I did the 351W conversion. Was glad I did as everything just cleared in there- but you shouldn't need to go bigger than that. I plan on doing the 2.5" suspension lift next and think that should be about perfect so my 32" tires don't rub.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I have a 351 in mine no body lift everything clears but I will be putting in a 1" body lift from wildhorses just to add some clearance. I not sure what size body lift you may need with the atlas though if there's no requirement for it I would put in a 1" just to make thing easier.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It can be done without a body lift. But things get real tight. Loose a lot of the tunnel, hood scoop or limited intake choices.
1" will do wonders.