• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body mount bolt in floor pans---HELP!!

Miker

Bronco Guru
Anyone got any ideas how to take care of gettin' these jokers out? PO must have put something around the bolt to lock er' down tight as a drum to the body. My one inch body lift is on hold till I figure a way to get these damn things out.
Help-- give some ideas,,,,

Attachments

• 100_3794.jpg
    100_3794.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3796.JPG
    100_3796.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 134

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
either wring them off, shear the head off, or cut it off and then knock thru the bottom. Once the head is off it is a straight shot down.

barronj

Bronco Guru
my heads were rounded off from corrosion. I drilled the head bolt off, then drove it out the bottom w/ an air chisel. This was the easiest pair of body bolts for me to get out.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Grind the tops flat with a disk grinder. Center punch and drill a 3/8 hole until the head falls off. you can keep drilling until everything is free. A smaller pilot hole first will keep the drill from wandering. Pretty quick and less painfull than laying under it with a sawsall.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Looks like sawsall time. Maybe a hole saw just big enough to cut the head out and use a bigger washer for the new bolts. Times like that is when I love my plasma cutter.

barronj

Bronco Guru
me thinks they are welded,,,,,,,,:cry:

They might've welded a washer to the bolt crown, but that's it. It's not welded to the floorpan, or anything other than itself. Grind it off & you'll have a PITA bolt left to drive out the bottom, either through punch/hammer or air chisel.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
3 minute job. Bust the heads off then take a 7/8" holesaw to the bottom of the bushing.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Mine looked like that as well... I took a 1/2" bolt about 4" long and laid it across the top of the head and welded it to it to form a "T".... then took a 18" cresent wrench on the end of the "T" bolt and twisted it right out.

You are going to want to run a 1/2" drill through the bushing when you get that bolt out anyway so you could drill a small pilot hole right down the center of the bolt then progressivly go up in drill size until the head falls off.

I still like the "T" idea best though...

Greg

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Mine were the same. Are you replacing your floor pans also? I did that first and cut the pan around the bolt. I was then able to unscrew it with some PB Blaster.

msommer001

T idea sounds good.

Drill, grinder, elbow grease. Best to jump in and start with an idea and go from there.

Have fun.