• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Mount Bushings

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock height is 3/4" at all 8 locations.
Anything lower than that is a sagged out bushing, and anything taller than that is a body lift.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forgot to mention that not all "body lifts" are 1" or more taller than stock. Some of us used to install full-size Bronco body bushings and that gave us about 3/4" lift or so.
You can tell those at a glance though because they are much larger diameter (wider) than a stock EB bushing/insulator/cushion.

And there may also be shims placed there by the factory during assembly to keep things even, like door gaps and such.
Usually from 1 to maybe 5 of these thin "body washers" can be found on some of the mount locations.

Perfectly normal.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I say order a 1 inch lift kit .. THIS WAY YOU GET NEW BUSHINGS & a new set of Bolts. Then shim if needed .. Don't add shims until you know you need them .

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Could it be that IFLYHOOKS is referring to the bolt length, as the pics of the kits look like 4 bolts are longer than the other 4 bolts??

That would be my guess and I no longer have a Bronco to check.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good point. I thought our instructions included the bolt lengths, but just checked and I see it only says where to put the shortest, the middle size and the longest, but not actual lengths.
Oh well, was worth a quick check anyway...

But IFLY did say "bushings" in the first post, so hopefully that's all they were looking for.

Paul

mebco09

Forgot to mention that not all "body lifts" are 1" or more taller than stock. Some of us used to install full-size Bronco body bushings and that gave us about 3/4" lift or so.
You can tell those at a glance though because they are much larger diameter (wider) than a stock EB bushing/insulator/cushion.

And there may also be shims placed there by the factory during assembly to keep things even, like door gaps and such.
Usually from 1 to maybe 5 of these thin "body washers" can be found on some of the mount locations.

Perfectly normal.

Paul

Hey Paul-

Can you elaborate on this? I am installing an AX-15, and don't like body lifts. Anything I can do to minimize the gap between the bumper and to body, even if its 1/4", would be nice. Would a big bronco 3/4 inch mount allow for the AX-15 without tunnel mods?

Thanks
Matt

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...without tunnel mods?

Funny you mention that Matt. First thing I thought of when you said you don't like body lifts was modifying the tunnel.
Unfortunately, my slow work ethic guarantees that I can't say whether the big mounts would work or not, because even though I have them and have the NV3550 to go in, it's going to remain undone for awhile yet.

Maybe someone who's done the trans swap with a 1" body lift can comment on whether or not a loss of just 1/4" or so will have meant the tunnel would hit the trans. Lots of them out there, but don't remember anyone ever reporting the exact amount of clearance.

Will yours be a stock-ish setup with stock bumpers? In my opinion the stock stuff is what shows the gaps the most.
Aftermarket bumpers are made in such a way as to cover up the additional space of a 1 or even a 2 inch body lift sometimes. Especially rears with a tire carrier.

Bottom line though, with that 1/4" in mind do you really think a 1/4 inch is going to make enough difference to bother with?
A much greater cost (you have to buy two kits) coupled with some improper fitment with regard to the sleeves and such (different size holes in the frame mounts), and you might be better off just making your own body lift pucks to go on top of stock mounts at the minimum height needed that you yourself can determine when you're doing the job.

Lower is better, but is it better enough.
That's my take on it anyway.

Paul

mebco09

Funny you mention that Matt. First thing I thought of when you said you don't like body lifts was modifying the tunnel.
Unfortunately, my slow work ethic guarantees that I can't say whether the big mounts would work or not, because even though I have them and have the NV3550 to go in, it's going to remain undone for awhile yet.

Maybe someone who's done the trans swap with a 1" body lift can comment on whether or not a loss of just 1/4" or so will have meant the tunnel would hit the trans. Lots of them out there, but don't remember anyone ever reporting the exact amount of clearance.

Will yours be a stock-ish setup with stock bumpers? In my opinion the stock stuff is what shows the gaps the most.
Aftermarket bumpers are made in such a way as to cover up the additional space of a 1 or even a 2 inch body lift sometimes. Especially rears with a tire carrier.

Bottom line though, with that 1/4" in mind do you really think a 1/4 inch is going to make enough difference to bother with?
A much greater cost (you have to buy two kits) coupled with some improper fitment with regard to the sleeves and such (different size holes in the frame mounts), and you might be better off just making your own body lift pucks to go on top of stock mounts at the minimum height needed that you yourself can determine when you're doing the job.

Lower is better, but is it better enough.
That's my take on it anyway.

Paul

No, 1/4" is probably not even noticeable. I'm sure that there is a creative way to close up that 1" gap from the stock bumper to the body, or just live with the gap. Definitely not worth major modifications to a set of body mounts, when the correct ones are made to fit. Life would be a lot easier if there weren't so many choices!