• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body mount replacement question.

TheLimeRanger

So I was thinking of changing my body mounts, however I was going to farm out the job. The shop I was talking to hasn't seen my bronco yet but we ran through a few things. The door posts and kick panels have seen better days but the floors are solid. . While the doors will open and close, they drop a good inch or more when opened. They are recommending that I take care of that (posts and kick panels) before I start messing with body mounts for fear of tweaking the body during the process of replacing the mounts.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Without the frame, the tub is flexible. If the shop your dealing with has had experience with EBs I'd let them do this.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I would think you would want the body mounts first so you have a firm foundation otherwise you run the risk of the gaps getting out of adjustment when you replace the mounts.

OP
OP
TheLimeRanger

TheLimeRanger

I guess this is sort of like the chicken and egg thing. Without good mounts any body work is a waste of time. But with posts and kick panels shot the body will potentially flex when lifted off the frame. If the doors are closed will that provide me with enough structural support to do the mounts so that the body doesn’t flex?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Although you didn't ask ; loosen all the body mount bolts but don't remove any { be prepared to use a sawzall and a punch to remove the old mounts } raise one side a little in the middle under the rockers { there are several ways to do this } then remove and replace one mount at a time on that side but don't tighten any of the mounts down . Then repeat on the other side . After all the mounts are replaced then you can tighten them . Oh - depending on the year of Bronco - don't remember which off hand - watch out for the hole in the frame just below the the mounts behind the seats. More than one Bronco mechanic had dropped things into that abyss .

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would replace the body mounts first but leave the doors closed and top on when you jack it up.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I wouj jack up on the rockers with a full length 2x6 under the pinch weld. One side at a time. It just depends on how solid your tub is. If its all swiss cheeze only you can acess.