• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bolts broke off where fan attaches to water pump

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I was driving to pick up my new driveshaft about an hour ago and I heard some funny squealing and rattling coming from the engine. I pulled over and opened the hood - the serp belt had been thrown and three of the four bolts that pass through the fan & aluminum spacer were loose. I got towed back to my driveway and pulled the belt, fan, & aluminum spacer out and discovered the three loose bolts had actually broken off in the steel disc on the front of the water pump. I'm guessing that disc is a press fit on the shaft. I can only see two ways to get those bolts out - (1) take out the water pump, which means I have to take out all of the ac and power steering bracketry, or (2) take out the radiator and try to get a drill bit through the grill to reach the busted bolts. Before I do either one because they will both be PITA's, has anyone encountered this and is there any easier fix?

localrich

Loc.
Sandy, UT
try an easyout. but you'll still need to pull thr rad to get a drill in there unless you have a right angle one......

BRONCOMAD

Loc.
Cleveland, Texas
Broken Bolts

I had one break once on a 5.0 and had to pull the timing cover to get it. Bolts that secure the water pump pass through the timing cover into the block. Thats the way I remember it.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
He is talking about the bolts that hold the fan on to the waterpump drive. Replace the waterpump, get new bolts that are the right length for your spacer and fan and be done with it.

OP
OP
adunham

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I ended up removing the radiator and bought a 12" long bit & some easy outs. The broken-off bolts drilled out beautifully and the plan was going well...until I broke off an easy out in the hole I had just drilled. And then another in one of the other holes. I should have remembered how worthless easy outs are from my prior experiences with them. So now, as Tim first suggested, I've removed the water pump and I'm headed out on my girlfriend's bicyle to get another. I think I'll carry home the new one in the white basket on the front, next to the little thumb ringer.

Tuck

adunham said:
I've removed the water pump and I'm headed out on my girlfriend's bicyle to get another. I think I'll carry home the new one in the white basket on the front, next to the little thumb ringer.

You might also think about getting an older girlfriend... :cool:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Could ask Todd to bring one over on his way over to look at your other strange noise...
Waterpump, not the older girlfriend.