• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulley bolts

Contributor
On my idler pulley should I have the factory bolt with the big washer on it?
IMG_4633.jpeg

And on my power steering pump pulley that is pressed on, is it okay to have a bolt in the end for a cleaner uniform look?
IMG_4634.jpeg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
On my idler pulley should I have the factory bolt with the big washer on it?
And on my power steering pump pulley that is pressed on, is it okay to have a bolt in the end for a cleaner uniform look?
1. Yes. It is not a big washer. It is a shield.
2. No. It is not acceptable to have a bolt stuck in the end of the power steering pump shaft with no purpose.

As a side note, I have had many conversations about the number of loose washers that can be found on a Bronco. If you ever spend time in a high volume manufacturing assembly factory, one of the more annoying 5S opportunities is loose washers. Also a FOD concern, as washers have the capability to transport themselves to distant locations far from where they were originally dropped.

Ford Motor Company went to great pains to reduce / eliminate the quantity of loose washers used in assembly. When you visit a British Car manufacturing company, the production floor is littered with washers. Literally thousands of them under-foot, or dropped, or missing. The entire Ford Bronco has just VERY FEW. From my memory...

Loose flat washers:

1. hood prop rod retainer.
2. Camshaft bolt.
3. Crankshaft damper bolt.
4. Motor mount stud.
5. Jack mount to fender.

Loose split ring lock washers:
1. Alternator pivot bolt.
2. Clutch pivot bracket bolts.
3. Motor mount stud.
4. Motor mount to block bolts.
5. Transmission to bell bolts.
6. Bell to block bolts.
7. Pitman Arm.
8. Anything made by Dana Spicer.

Everything else is captive. Either flange head, SEMS, or a special lock washer or gounding washer. You will notice that there are minimal loose washers in the engine assembly process. Nobody wants a washer to be dropped, lost, missing or found inside the engine.

When you rebuild a Ford...there are zero excess washers. It's one of the most endearing things about Ford. When you rebuild a Mopar, you end up with a whole bucket of random washers left over. And British cars are vastly worse.

You seem to like grade 8 bolts with flat washers. Since I'm the guy that gets to drill them out when they are broken off, I am curious. Any particular reason?

OP
OP

Contributor
1. Yes. It is not a big washer. It is a shield.
2. No. It is not acceptable to have a bolt stuck in the end of the power steering pump shaft with no purpose.

You seem to like grade 8 bolts with flat washers. Since I'm the guy that gets to drill them out when they are broken off, I am curious. Any particular reason?

Thank you for the response James.
No particular reason other than I didn’t really have the factory bolts for this stuff and I was at the hardware store.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
agree with the above. if a washer is not needed, then dont use it. I'd be using as close to OEM bolts as possible too, but thats just my OCD.

oh! IMO that bolt/washer on the end of the steering pump pulley looks less clean to me. lol.

love your build BTW!

Last edited: