• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BONES approved

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Merrill radiator in concord might be able to help as well. They are on pembroke rd just past the back entrance to the Wendy's.

Hank

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Merrill radiator in concord might be able to help as well. They are on pembroke rd just past the back entrance to the Wendy's.

Hank

Good to know thanks, I didn't come across them in my searching but seems like another good nearby option.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Well its been about a month since I've done any work, been sick for a while and just had no time or energy. Finally got back at it and put a good few hours in yesterday and today trying to get all the steering linkage connected.

I'm not super confident that I got the toe in right or everything centered properly but its a start. If anyone sees anything that looks off feel free to speak up. I still need to tighten everything up too. A few pictures to show the before and after.

Attachments

• P1030531.jpg
    P1030531.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 68
  • P1030536.jpg
    P1030536.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 3 (1).jpg
    photo 3 (1).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 89

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
LOOKS GOOD!! did want to remind you of the pitman arm nut! ;D

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Angles look good..Torque everything down to spec and get it over to a good alignment shop with top Hunter equipment. I use Sullivan tire.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Few more things crossed off the list today. I had the radiator checked out at Merrill in Concord and they said it was pretty much falling apart. A re-core was way too expensive. I ended up just ordering one of the stock replacements from one of the vendors for half the price of re coring. Everything seems to look and fit pretty good.

Also got the saginaw pump attached to the bracket and all hooked up, took me a little while to get it all attached and lined up properly. I still need to fill the radiator and p/s pump then hopefully I can start it up for the first time since October. Really hoping it starts right up with no leaks!

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P1040208.jpg
    P1040208.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 53

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Looking good and you've done alot to this point..Hope all goes well.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Well I've been driving the bronco pretty much everyday with just a few minor issues that I've started noticing. I think it just needs new bearings in the steering column but I just want to confirm that before I start taking it apart. I cut the old manual shaft and adapted it to the WH lower steering shaft and in to the new power steering stuff.

I took a quick video to show how much play there is when I wiggle the shaft. I was going to pull the wheel off today and see how it looked in there also.

https://youtu.be/zK1jOXRRVDY

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I'D SAY A LITTLE PLAY!! wow, might want to fix that soon!!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Steering is fixed (I think), I haven't driven it yet but a new bearing and bearing sleeve and the shaft doesn't move at all. Also got the WH leaf springs installed, I still need to tighten everything up but all the work is done. I realized after putting everything in that I needed to add shims so I took it apart and added 6 degree shims.

Everything seems to look and fit good including the set of new shackles I picked up from Migs. Next on the list is putting in the aero tank and looking for some slightly bigger tires. Also looking for some options to replace the exhaust and stock manifolds that are both very rusty and potentially leaking.

Some before and after photos:

Attachments

• photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 3 (4).jpg
    photo 3 (4).jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 4 (3).jpg
    photo 4 (3).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2 (4).jpg
    photo 2 (4).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2 (5).jpg
    photo 2 (5).jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 43
  • photo 4 (2).jpg
    photo 4 (2).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 48
  • photo 2 (6).jpg
    photo 2 (6).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 46

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GET in touch with fatboy, i had given him a dual exhaust awhile ago and don't think he is using it

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Took the bronco on its longest drive since I've had it. Put around 100 miles on it driving through some nice back roads of NH to Salisbury State Park. It drove great and I'm very satisfied with how the suspension feels, my dog is much happier too.

We even camped out in the back of the truck, not the prettiest setup but we put the tailgate down added a tarp and it was plenty of space for 2 people and a dog. We looked a little out of place surrounded by big RV's but we got lots of people coming to ask about it.

The truck didn't come out completely unscathed though, the power steering box I put on over the winter sprung a leak where the pitman arm connects. Hoping I can just replace the seals on the bottom of the box and be good to go. I also got some new parts coming this week to get ready for its next trip!

Attachments

• P1040354.jpg
    P1040354.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 89
  • P1040352.jpg
    P1040352.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 100
  • P1040351.jpg
    P1040351.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 94
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 108
  • P1040356.jpg
    P1040356.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 93

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
LOOKS GOOD! glad you're sorting some things out and getting to enjoy it!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Ohh and I forgot I had another thing I wanted to ask about. The first time I start the truck up each day it takes a good 8-10 tries to get it to start and then after that it starts up fine the rest of the day. It sounds like its going to start but just won't catch, then I'll usually adjust the choke try again and it will start after a few minutes of messing with it.

After that it can sit for a few hours and will start right back up, but when it sits overnight or for more than a few hours it takes a little bit to get it going. Anything I can look into for this? Timing issue? Its got a pertronix ignition and coil.

svobronco

Sounds like a fuel issue. My dad's plow truck does that if it sits for more than a week, have to pour fuel in the carb to get it to start. We haven't figured that one out yet.
I'd start by replacing the fuel pump...easy and cheap.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Check your accelerator pump too. You should see a stream of gas squirt into the carb when you work the accelerator. That gives it a shot to fire up on until the choke kicks in and it starts sucking fuel.