• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

borgeson steering joint keeps getting loose

nrramse

A few years ago I replaced the "bell joint" on my steering shaft with a Borgeson u-joint. The change was good because my bell joint was pretty beat, but the Borgeson keeps working loose. The set screws are wallowing out the shafts (especially on the steering box side). I can't imagine being the only one with this problem - has anyone found a solution?

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
Do u have a 2" or bigger body lift? I had to run 2 u joints when I did mine other wise the joint at the box was at a really bad angle. U can try- lock tight on the set screws or drill and retap for larger set screw, as well as larger get a longer one and lock it down with a nut against the collar. Double the amount set screws while ur at it, If that dont hold back it up with a couple tack welds from the collar to the shaft.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought about taping a drill bit and drilling a small indent into the shaft for the set screw. Give it a little bite to hold things tight.

Eugene

OP
OP
N

nrramse

I don't have a body lift, so I guess my problem is a little simpler than bucknbronk's.

I didn't drill a small indent, but that sounds like a nice easy thing to try. I like the idea of upping the size of the set screw too.

Thanks, Newell

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
drill a detent for the set screw to bite into. also get a new set screw as the bite edges are prob worn off the end. if all else fails, drill and through bolt with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I drilled dents into both ends (one end was already done when I got it) and used blue locktite on the set screws, with a lock nut on all of them. If it comes loose I'll pull my hair out, but so far it's stayed nice and snug that I can tell.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I just watched this Wild Horses steering shaft fab video yesterday. At about 2:15 he shows prep for the set screw. He used a punch thru the hole to mark the location. He drilled a pocket on one side & ground a groove on the other, & talked about using both a jamb nut & lock-tite. It seems like it might help.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
when I got mine the PO had used allen heads with jamb nuts.The problem was with them all the way in they bottomed out before they clamped down tight.I just replaced with some 1/2 in longer.No more clicking feeling in the steering wheel....a good thing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you ever need to replace your joint again (they last, but not forever usually), go with one that has a 3/4" Double-D fitment on the steering column side.
Do what the posted video shows to the shaft and you should never have one come loose again.

The fact that the box side has come loose though is bothersome. Make sure you don't let the loose joint bugger up the splines. Get some dimples drilled in there soon and add the new set-screw as mentioned.
When we build a shaft, it has the longer set-screws with the lock nuts and Locktite for good measure. If done right, they should stay tight for the duration.

Does your joint have 2 screws per end (90 degree opposing)? Or just one at each end?
Just curious. Most have 2 I'm thinking, but wanted to check.
Good luck. Loose steering shafts can be kind of "annoying" to say the least!

Paul

OP
OP
N

nrramse

If you ever need to replace your joint again (they last, but not forever usually), go with one that has a 3/4" Double-D fitment on the steering column side.
Do what the posted video shows to the shaft and you should never have one come loose again.

The fact that the box side has come loose though is bothersome. Make sure you don't let the loose joint bugger up the splines. Get some dimples drilled in there soon and add the new set-screw as mentioned.
When we build a shaft, it has the longer set-screws with the lock nuts and Locktite for good measure. If done right, they should stay tight for the duration.

Does your joint have 2 screws per end (90 degree opposing)? Or just one at each end?
Just curious. Most have 2 I'm thinking, but wanted to check.
Good luck. Loose steering shafts can be kind of "annoying" to say the least!

Paul
The joint has only one set screw for the steering box, but two for the steering column (which is double D). It only comes loose enough to bother me once a year, and retightening is easy enough, but I often forget what's causing the clunking noise and have to spend time figuring it out!

Thanks, Newell