• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Boy did I mess up 1976 Bronco

mackelchea

Always wanted a nice Bronco- I bought this one from Missouri...
normal_1.jpg

I get her here in San Diego and the Smog nightmare has begun>>>>
if anyone can help me with these parts I'd be forever in debt to them !!!

I went down to the DMV and they said I needed to get her smogged-The local mechanic told me I needed to bring her to a smog referee-

It's a 4bbl Holly now with a aftermarket Intake manifold/Dual exaust----

If you could help me I'm looking for a two barel Intake Manifold/Carb/EGR Spacer for 2bbl Intake manifold-
also I have to change the exaust back to a two into one with catalytic converter- need an air pump/Air injection Plumbing and Air Switching Valves, EFE Valve and Actuator and Thermo Vacuum Switch/EGR Valve Thermo Vacuum Switch/
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks in advance!
Mike
PS here she is--
http://images.lilypix.com/thumbnails.php?album=1990

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I would head for the two Ecology wrecking yards (they have a website) near you. You might look at 76 Granadas with a 302. You should be able to get the carb egr stuff and intake there. I don't know about mounting brackets for the smog pump and alternator. Granada my different than Bronco. Maybe someone can furnish some good pictures of a stock 76 or 77. You will need a stock air cleaner. Get 76 or 77 from the classified here. I know 73 is slightly different than the later ones and 72 is completely different although it make fake out the ref.

Manifold will be expensive to ship from elsewhere in the country

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Hate to say it but it might be a whole lot easier to just buy another pre smog title and skip all the smog crap.

Ben

Probably wouldn't do anything for you out here. They usually look at the vin stamped on the frame although I have heard of some who didn't. Probably a roll of the dice whether they check the frame or not.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I pulled ALL of that junk off my 76 a while back. It may still be around. Let me know if you decide to go back stock. Will see what I have left.

jaroh

I will gladly trade you for my 73 rust bucket. Then maybe you will not have to deal with all that bs in cali !!

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Check www.rockauto.com I know for sure they have the EGR spacer because that's where I got mine from. I believe they also have a stock muffler. They might have some of the other stuff.

You could just save yourself the hassle and send the Bronco out to me. :) This is from the Illinois EPA site: "Recent changes to the Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law of 2005 provide that vehicles of model year 1995 and older that are in compliance with the law as of February 1, 2007, will no longer be subject to emissions testing." I'm not sure what "compliance with the law" means, but they relaxed the emissions laws here. Good Luck!

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hey Mike
Maybee you can get a EGR spacer that will allow you to put a 2 barrel onto your 4 barrel onto the existing manifold. Or maybee if you get all the smog suff, you might be able to get a EGR spacer that you can still use the 4 barrel mainifold and the 4 barrel.

I don't see why a 4 barrel would do nything bad as far as emmisions would be concerned. if anything a 4 barrel might make it run cleaner.

Maybee this might be a good excuse to go to fuel injection

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
my guess is that they are looking for stock. I went thru this is in Virginia way back. The PO had ripped off the smog stuff off and I had to put it back to get it registered. I had several conversations with their enforecement side as well as the EPA. There is no arguing with them.....and the only way around it requires one to break the law with registration or VIN alteration. I, personally, would not go that route.

I wasnt about to get caught doing the "easy" thing so I did exactly what you are going to do. Hit the boneyards and look for parts. I did mine in 91-92 so it was a little easier.

There ought to be a bunch of it lying around judging from the threads where guys rip it off (which is a BIG EPA fine regardless of your state regs).

IIRC, some of my stuff came off a Granada. Luckily, the meathead who did mine left the bracket alone. But those should be out there, try an ad in the classified as well.

BTW, nice looking truck......good luck on the emissions stuff.

OP
OP
M

mackelchea

Thanks for all the good info guys !!
I already have a stock air cleaner on her the referee specificially said I have to make these changes>>>

Change to a two barrel Intake Manifold/Carb/EGR Spacer for 2bbl Intake manifold-
also I have to change the exaust back to a two into one with catalytic converter- need an air pump/Air injection Plumbing and Air Switching Valves, EFE Valve and Actuator and Thermo Vacuum Switch/EGR Valve Thermo Vacuum Switch/

Scrapper_MV

I have a spare charcoal canister in the garage if you need it. You might want to get involved with SoCalBroncos.com. It's a great bunch of people that are very willing to help a Bronco brother or sister out.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I feel for you!!! I'm glad I left California in 78 and never looked back...

snake

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
This sounds like one of those places where it time to buy a glove box door
and title and do the old swap a roo.............

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the good info guys !!
I already have a stock air cleaner on her the referee specificially said I have to make these changes>>>

Change to a two barrel Intake Manifold/Carb/EGR Spacer for 2bbl Intake manifold-

what a joke :mad:

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Move to Mohave County AZ. No smog checks No inspections.

Do you have injection ports in the heads or on exhast manifords? Because to get back to stock you may be looking at changing ether or both.
I have some air injection plumbing (goes into the head) for a 74, stock 2 barrel, alt/ smog pump bracket, charcoal cannister,
You may want to place an add in the wanted section.
California started with much stricter smog laws in the 70s and they had equipment reqired that much of the rest of the states did not require. Most cars and trucks costed a little more to buy in Calif. because of the smog.
some one out there must have a 76 engine with most of the assessories still on it.
You may have any of this stuff I have for shipping.
Marty