• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Boy did I mess up 1976 Bronco

Mikey

Bronco Guru
The thing is that tampering with any smog stuff is illegal in all states as it's a federal offense. However, Kommiefornia has taken it on themselves to strictly enforce that. I moved from Kommiefornia to Arkansas and back to Kommiefornia. Yup, a buddy PO'd a cop in Ark and got nailed in his 5.0L with off-road H-pipe. I had my 68 Cougar back when Kommiefornia smogged it and was a driving factor for me to move. I made sure that neither my 68 Cougar or my 74 Bronco fell under the laws before moving back after leaving for 10 years. Another catch in this freaking state is roving smog checks. Luckily done only in large cities....All years can be checked!

Now, with all that said, I would sell the Bronco out of this state and get another one prior to the cut off date..you can make a good profit and buy an earlier model to build the way you want....go to the DMV site to get the exact date. The smog laws are designed to sell you a new car and makes little enviromental sense. For instance, all the inspection stations have the database of what needs to be on what car.....why isn't this made public on a website? Also, why can't you buy some new modern efficient approved smog cat or some other device that would waive the the inspection? Why, 'cause they want you to buy a new car, not work with people to help the environment.

Enough venting.....this state is not automotive enthusiast friendly....to beat the system, just stay out of it....buy an older vehicle. Oh, another thought, drop in a crate 5.0L with all the smog intact, that would work!

Got a question, do they worry about single vs dual exhaust here?

I know they say that if the vehicle never came in a 4V model, then it must remain 2V. My Cougar uses a CARB approved 6919 Holley carb and Cougars were available in 68 as a 4V so that was OK but I had to put on my stock air cleaner and coil. A hotter coil wasn't approved then! Yeah, that made sense!

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Will the rules allow you to swap to a 90's 5.0 fuel injection with all of the emissions equipment for that year? Or would the regulations get in the way of common sense? That way you get a better running truck, that will have less emissions.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I believe you can but I think you need to pass the later engine's emissions and will have to go to a referee to get it blessed.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
I believe you can but I think you need to pass the later engine's emissions and will have to go to a referee to get it blessed.

If you have to spend money to get it to pass (I know a kick ass 4V on now, why change), and you can use later model components, why not upgrade at the same time. I have always had troubles trying to maintain my stock 76 carb setup (it is slowly losing parts;D ) and the performance is less than good.

Last edited:

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Yeah, that's what I would do. I kinda want to do it anyway...in time. One recommendation, carry a short belt as those stupid air pumps like to sieze on you. I have two 5.0Ls, non-Bronco, and those things suck.

Ford Fuel Injection site has a full pdf handbook on exactly how to do this swap and estimated costs....I'd do the FI swap and claim an 88 engine...maybe that would work.