• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake hoses Ford disc brake conversion which one?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My summer long project is coming to an end however this project will not end without one last frustrating issue. I need brake hoses.

What are you guys using on this conversion?

I’m using 79 Bronco Knuckle out parts on my 74. I thought I had this covered from reading the tech article. Comments advised that 76 F100 2WD hoses would work however they will not work for me. Two issues, one there a touch short for my liking and two, they will not mount up to the 66-75 or 76-77 style front brake mounting brackets (where the hard lines turn to flex line that go to the caliper).

The 66-75 bracket has a “star” pattern and the 76-77 has a “large D” pattern. I bought new 76-77 brackets thinking they would work but the 76 F100 hoses have a “small D” pattern. I know there are SS lines available from the venders but I don’t want to pay for SS unless I need/have to, one because of cost and two because SS don’t fit the “look” of the OD green black combo I have going.

This is the last thing keeping me from being on the road again (unless I have issues putting the steering back on this weekend) so any suggestions would be helpful.

Tim

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Yep, i went with the stainless one's the bronco warehouse's sell and they fit right in at the original location.

I did have to get adapter's to go from 1/4" to 3/16" line but they were not hard to find!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can get stainless hoses with a black PVC jacket, so they don't look "stainless". There are several variations between hard lines, however you can either get the hoses and make the hard lines to match or have the hoses made to fit whatever hard lines you have. Any of the aftermarket stainless hoses will have universal 5/8" diameter barrel fittings, so you'd need to round-out the holes on any of the anchor brackets you noted.

Tobin

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you provide a link or two to what SS lines your refering too?

Bknbronco...who are you quoting and why are you stripping the quote tags?

If your question was directed towards me (I didn't say what you quoted though), I am a dealer for Crown Performance (for my day job), so I just had them make me some hoses to my own specifications. That said, I know that Crown supplies a lot of the off-road aftermarket including many lift kit companies. Last I checked, both West Coast Broncos and TBP were Crown dealers as well if you prefer to support a Bronco specific vendor, and their may be others...

Tobin

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
i have not found a solution to this either, (havent been looking lately either...)
there should be multiple posts on this topic. i just never bought one yet to try.
search around a little you should find some more options on this site.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I have the 79 knuckles on my 73. Went with the T-bird calipers. Got hoses from Chuck(BCB), straight bolt on, no problems. I believe he stocks the hoses for the standard truck calipers also.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
If you go with the T-bird calipers keep in mind that they take a differnt hose end...... and a differnet banjo bolt. In my opinion, I wouldn't ever replace a caliper without going to the T-bird calipers.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Can you provide a link or two to what SS lines your refering too?

Sorry, work got in the way of my posting.

Here's the link to the hoses I was ging to order.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/76-79_Caliper_Hose_to_3-16_Inverted_Flare/Bronco_Brake_Hoses

I've solved my probem. No I didn't find a hose solution I modified the mounting brackets. I took the 76-77 mounting brackets I ordered from WH and did a bit of welding and filing to take the large "D" pattern into a small "D" pattern. With that modification, I can now use the 76 F100 2WD hoses I bought. Those hoses were $15 each vs $42 for the SS hoses. The bracekts were $8 each so all total I have $23 in each side.

I hope to be on the raod this weekend but I'm sure something will come up and stop that from happening.

Tim