• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake systems, is Hydro Boost the cream of the crop

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
I'm thinking of up-grading the braking system over my stock 1976 power booster w/ front disk and drums rear. Is there a major big difference using the hydro boost system? It looks like a lot of time and a lot more $$$ to do this but is it worth it? Is hydro boost the best or is there something even better?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically all H boost like all power brake setups only makes the pedal easier to push. It doesnt really increase braking ability. Although in some setups with the correct combonation of parts it can,
Worth the effort I cant say. I like to keep thinks as simple as possible under my hood so its not really for me at this point.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Was a huge difference for me. Night and day an was worth it (I bought a kit from one of the vendors). There is a lot of posts on here on how to do it on the cheap with junkyard parts. If you've got the patience and time you can save a lot.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ill never go back! ASTROBOOST it! I did it fer 112$ and my lines were 60$

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
The only thing in your bronco.....better then ...sex.....are hydroboost...brakes....

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Considering the OP has the OEM power boost and discs from his 76, is the hydroboost really that much better?

I haven't driven many Broncos, but I've driven my 76 with the same OEM setup and it seems to work pretty darn well.

Last edited:

pbwcr

HB gets it power from the power steering pump. That means if you do hard braking and turning at the same time you should expect significant reduction in the power for steering and braking. With your vacuum booster brakes you do not have that issue to worry about. A typical racer would usually have two pumps, one for HB and one for steering and ram assist.
HB does produce more hydraulic pressure to the brakes compared to no boost or with vacuum booster, and is why its preferred by the racers.
A better option for a 76 would be better friction material.
PaulW

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
My vacuum booster with disc brakes and the Thunderbird calipers from Chuck at bcbroncos are pretty awesome. I've never driven one with hydroboost, but I love the ones I have.

slow poke

Loc.
SF Bay Area
There was no better upgrade I did to my Bronco than hydroboost. Never experienced any steering or braking issues what so ever. Hydroboost operates at about 3000 psi which is about twice that of vacuum boosted brakes....so you actually have much, much stronger brakes.

Do it! and never regret it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The big difference in hydroboost over vacuum is you gain feeling that is normally dulled by a vacuum system. Hydroboost is a whole nother level above just vacuum booster.

That said you have to have the brakes at the wheels working correctly. Hydroboost is an effort/feel thing. You still need the brakes to be working right for anything upsteam to actually work right.

OP
OP
clarkaw1

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
Considering the OP has the OEM power boost and discs from his 76, is the hydroboost really that much better?

I haven't driven many Broncos, but I've driven my 76 with the same OEM setup and it seems to work pretty darn well.

Well I ordered the kit today from JB and should take two weeks to get. After the installment I will come back on this post to let everyone know of any improvements ;D

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have driven a 76 with factory power brakes and I thought they sucked compared to my BC Broncos vacuume booster. Then the hydroboost I installed on a Bronco recently made my BC Broncos booster feel like it sucked. Night and day difference between the 3.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After blowing another bc booster I swapped the wifes 66 to hydro. Big difference. Now I'm thinking of geetting hydroboost for my 72 & my 3door suburban

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Driving in the city or aggressive offroad (prerun stuff) I first felt a big difference in getting away from Drum Brakes in the front and going to disk. Kept manual brakes for years but my braking thigh got huge! ;D

When I went to hydroboost I am so confident in its braking ability it's unreal. I've had three panic stops in the last week (more than usual) and that Bronco stopped on a dime... no pull.... just friggen stopped!

I am completely sold on hydroboost. I have not seen a degradation of the steering power when running her hard!

I can not give you an even comparison from vacuum to HB but I have brakes a few times after a stall and then it goes back to manual, with the vacuum booster the minute you pulse the brakes once after a stall you better hang on and be ready to push the pedal through the floor.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Not just a little better. "Astoundingly better" is appropriate. I can lock up my 39.5 IROKs on dry pavement by barely resting my foot on the peddle....:eek:

That said, the stock power disk brake system is, IMHO, just fine as long as the tires are close to the stock original diameter.

OP
OP
clarkaw1

clarkaw1

Loc.
Waterford, Michigan
Up-date!

I finally received and installed the Hydroboost brake system from HYDRATECT (purchase through JBG). It is everyting and more from what everybody posted. I notice as soon as i placed my Bronco in drive just the shear no movement what so ever. I was flying around and purposely not stopping until the last second and Wow how cool it felt knowing it will stop. My best purchase for the Bronco so far. :)

1971Bronco1971

Loc.
Boston
Ok I have a question I bought a hydro boost unit but don't know what master cylinder to use. What is everyone else using? Next question is I have seen the Delphi/ Delco pump upgrade available but don't know where to get the brackets, because I know that GM trucks with hydro have a double return pump, and the Delphi/Delco are suppose to be a better pump

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ok I have a question I bought a hydro boost unit but don't know what master cylinder to use. What is everyone else using? Next question is I have seen the Delphi/ Delco pump upgrade available but don't know where to get the brackets, because I know that GM trucks with hydro have a double return pump, and the Delphi/Delco are suppose to be a better pump

What HB did you get?