• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brighter Brights (was-Ryan's Headlight Harness ??)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Anybody know if Ryans Headlight Harness has the brights wired so that both filaments are on at the same time when you have the brights turned on or is that modification done further up in the stock harness?

Last edited:

hackyrat

The harness is not wired that way but will work with mods before the harness. Before I had the harness I wired in a switch that connected two of the wires at the dimmer switch so I could run high and low beam together. It would work for about 30 seconds then shut everything off for a few seconds, I think the switch heated up. After putting in Ryans harness, I asked him about doing this. He said his harness would have no issues but I may see some possible heat problems in the sealed beam itself. I have not had any problems but have not run high and low together for more than 10 minutes or so. It does really light things up. So you need to take two of the wires at the dimmer (don't remember which ones) and wire them together with a switch. The switch just allows you to choose either "high" or "high/low".

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
headlight-switch-upgrade.gif

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Cool! Thanks Ryan and Hackyrat
On my dimmer switch the stock wire colors are green/black, red, and red/black
I'll try to find a wiring diagram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
That would be the Green/black (high beam) wire and the Red/black wire (low beam).
As I understand this print...
I'm going to look into the relay option before I do this I think.

Attachments

• dimmerwires.jpg
    dimmerwires.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 26

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
Not the Grn/Blk, the highs will never turn off

Splice the Red/Yel and Red/Blk at the foot switch

Landshark

Loc.
California
Mark Troy said:
Cool! Thanks Ryan and Hackyrat
On my dimmer switch the stock wire colors are green/black, red, and red/black
I'll try to find a wiring diagram.

Remember, if you run your "headlights" like that, have H4 conversion either 55/65 or brighter bulbs, you chance "flaking" the inside of the light housing.
They are designed to work with higher temps, but that may create just enough to having the reflective coating to flake off. This all depnds on how good the quality of the housing are, so keep an eye on them if you decide to do that.