• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brighter Headlights

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
I ahve seen the kits on Ebay for running hi and low beams at the same time. I think it is just a relay and some wiring. Anyone have a parts list and a diagram for wiring it up?

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Check out Bronco Driver Issue #3. There's a write up on upgrading headlights to a Cibie system. You can even get a kit from Baja Broncos. It's expensive, but I can bore holes in the dark now. They are worth it.

kxbronco

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
Check out the lastest Peterson's. There are a couple of light upgrades. I don't know if they will work for a Bronco or not, but it is worth a shot.

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
You could also get a sealed beam conversion kit ... I did along with a wiring upgrade and it made a huge difference at night, plus the lenses look alot better during the day.

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
wiring upgrade

how much is the sealed beam kit? also, what was the wiring upgrade you did?

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Sorry for not giving much info...

You can get the kit for around $30 (either off of ebay, or some retail parts stores carry them)... here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Ebay Kit

This is the kit that I got... (I'm pretty sure, it was a while ago) and it fit 100% perfectly in place of the stock lamps. If you get a kit, ditch the cheap blue bulbs that come with the kit and get a decent set of bulbs (I chose Phillips Vision Pus).

For the wiring upgrade I simply hooked up a relay with some good 10ga wire directly to the battery. I did this after installing that conversion kit and it made a big difference by itself.

Here is a pic of the kit installed with the crappy stock blue bulbs that I soon ditched.

Lemme know if you have any questions..

;D

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
what about a diagram

I was hoping for a diagram. I have seen the kits on Ebay going for $20 or so. I didn't know that they came with the bulbs. I think I can do it myself if I knew how to wire it up right.

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
hmmm well I don't have a diagram, but as long and you understand the concept of a relay I think you should get it!

I just went to AutoZone and picked up a 30amp? relay that was stocked as a spare for fog light kits. I believe it would be called a single pull/double throw relay? (meaning it has one "on/off" connection and gives power to 2 connections when switched on)?

So, one connection on the relay just connects to the positive battery terminal (fused of course), one connection goes to ground, one connection goes to your "switched" source (I just used the power wire that was going to a headlight), and the other 2 connections go to the headlights.

actually Here is a diagram of a dual relay system that I found on the web...

Hope this helps?

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
Whats wrong with like the KC lights? We use them and have had superb (see i did my vocab homework) results and if you woried about no where to mount them on a stock bumper the Slimlites fit on well (we run the slimlites). :)

Just my 0.02

mstark

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
many thanks

Great info guys, thanks alot. I think a trip to the parts store is in order.

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
more lights

well, being that i live in california, and that i already have fog lights on the front bumper, AND how all those little cars and the people who drive them get kind of nasty when facing down a tall 4x4 on a narrow road late at night, i think brighter lights are a neccessity!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Outshine2 said:
You could also get a sealed beam conversion kit ... I did along with a wiring upgrade and it made a huge difference at night, plus the lenses look alot better during the day.

Ummm... Every 66-77 Bronco ever made came from the factory with sealed beam headlights.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
mstark said:
Whats wrong with like the KC lights? We use them and have had superb (see i did my vocab homework) results and if you woried about no where to mount them on a stock bumper the Slimlites fit on well (we run the slimlites). :)

Just my 0.02

mstark

I don't think anything KC makes is street legal. Headlight's can be upgraded to different types of headlights provided they are DOT approved. Since this thread started about headlights, it's safe to ass/u/me the he was interested in street use.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
I think Outshine2 was talking about the halogen sealed beam conversions. That is what we use and they are about ten times brighter than non halogen sealed beams. I don't think Broncos ever came with halogens, but don't know for sure. After we upgraded to halogen sealed beams we had to replace the headlight switch though, but it probably needed one anyway.

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
changing switch's

I was looking at the diagrams I got, As far as the original switch I couldn't tell what to do with it. Will it work with the upgradew or will I have to replace it? The diagram didn't show what wires on it to use.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Yes,

Your current switch should work fine. In fact, if you follow the diagrams just as you should, your switch will carry less of a load. It will act merely as a trigger to activate a relay. The relay will bear the load, rather than the switch.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
kwspony-

You still use the stock headlamp switch, floor-mounted high beam switch, and even most of the stock wiring. You can mount the relays under the hood near the battery. Then you just need short runs of new wire.

Hopefully today I get mine back from the paint shop, should have it up & running in a few days. I'm just over in Davis, if you want to meet up and see how mine is wired.

OP
OP
kwspony

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
Thanks for the info guys

I got ya now. thanks alot. I will keep you in mind Lars, thanks.