• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke, But Want A Lift

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Do it right the first time is a good motto for sure. But also remember that you're not paying yourself for labor. You can do what I always do which is research and plan for a year before you ever get started, all the time trying to chisel the price down or source the parts you need (and in the meantime your plans will change.... Mine always do), or you can make a quick decision and just do the work. If you don't like it, you can make small changes down the road.

I'm trying to become part of that second group, but it's a hard transition to make.

If I were in your situation and I wanted a small lift with out too much expense, I'd invest in a used set of front springs, and new C-bushings to adjust your pinion angle. Make your own track bar riser or trade a buddy pizza and beer (wait till he finishes the welding before you give him the beer) for his services. Then I'd read up on shackle flips. Do a shackle flip and keep all your stock rear suspension items. Add some steel wedges to correct the pinon angle. Shop around and find a good set of shocks. If you can find used ones from another application that are the right length for cheap, then you can easily enough modify your shock mounts to accomodate them (Hey, you're already DIY'ing the rest of the lift!) If you plan ahead and do your research, you should be able to avoid spending an arm and a leg.

My brother's '67 had a 3.5" duff lift with no drop pitman arm. He did get some bump steer until he added the pitman arm, but it was very manageable....

Has anybody ever tried to heat/bend the stock pitman arm to get some drop? I've never tried, but since it's cast you'd probably have to be very careful doing it. Maybe somebody else can chime in on this one.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock pitman arm is not long enough to bend it down far enough not only that its probably not a good idea to heat up and bend a critical part of your steering and expect it to retain its strenght. Although I think it is a forged item so it may retain most of its strenght. Better bet is to do a TRO swap.

While there are lots of things you can do yourself theres really not much you can do your self on a standard lift other than install it. A small lift(2.5in) will be cheaper than the larger lifts and the small lifts dont require all the parts or other possible mods that the larger lifts do. While making your own lift may seem cheaper I dont think that its really the case in most instances as once you start and your direction changes you end up spending more anyways for something that really doesnt work any better than whats already availible.
For a 2.5in lift you all you need is front springs, rear block or add a leaf, C bushings, shocks and extended brake lines. Above 2.5in lifts will need the drop brackets and pitman arm and possible driveshaft and E brake cable mods.
As always doing it right the first time will save you money and time. Luckily there is a lot of experiance on this site to help you out.

69 Fl. Bronc

Ok. I'll chime in. Talk to tasker about his parts.(Iv'e found people here very willing to help someone out). Get The right C-bushings. Riser (or drop) bracet. Drop pitmam arm. It won't cost that much and you have it right to start with. I did the same thing with 3 1/2 W.H (new) coils and add a leaf in the rear. 1" body lift later. All in all I don't have $500 into it and it rides sweet.About $120 for cheap shocks. That is included in the 500.

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Guys,
Thanks for all the replays on my lift.
Hal9000, I can weld a little, but I do have some buddys that can. As far as search for a junkyards, I have looked,(need to do some more looking) all the yards in my area have sold everything for scrap. A lot are closed, the ones that are still running only have late modle stuff. I like to do my own work, use it as a stress breaker.
It sounds like some are telling me, if I am going to do thism, I need to do it right the first time and use the parts needed. There is no need to do something half way now and go back later an wish I had done it right the first time.
There is so much I want to do and do it myself. I just need to commit to it and do it.

I do thank all of you. This is a great site for someone like me. A EB lover with the want to but with no experience working on the suspension.

I hope all is well with all nad may God bless you all. THANKS AGAIN

I just takes time and money, Moneys' the reason it takes so much time! I'm on the 5th year of my build and counting.;D http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Hear are my 2 cents. Do it once and do it right save your pennys and buy a good complete lift kit. Get one with new rear springs. Do the bushings and bolts when you have everything apart. You will kick yourself down the road if you dont do it right the first time. Also if you try to peice it together you will certainly need some thing you didnt get when you go to install everything or some thing wont match. But I understand what it is like to want to something and not have the money (I have three broncos and they all need something)