• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke down on the highway. As we speak

RivRat

On our way back from a soccer game with a 3yr old and 1yr old and she just quit. Tank says 3/4 full. Not too happy. My cousin has already Picked up the wife and kids. Waiting on the wrecker now.
a6cd097b-506f-2d75.jpg

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Good thing I have my iPhone and classicbroncos on an app.

It seems like a fuel problem. It will crank on starter fluid but not run.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

Try changing the fuel filter but blow out the fuel lines first before you install a new filter.

Get a coffee can at the front to catch the gas, disconnect the fuel line from the filter, and used compressed air to blow from the filler tube into the tank with a rag to act as a cap on the filler tube.

I've done this on the road at gas stations several times over the years and it works. Just make sure you don't spray gas all over the engine.

Good luck!
Chris
:cool:

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I think after you figure this out you need to change your Avatar..... Hood Up! just like the pic you just posted. It sure can't hurt. Sorry for the sad humor,but its an old truck and things are bound to happen. So keep your head up and the hood down.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

a6cd097b-69a4-8710.jpg

Finally made it and heading home. Had to wait 2 hrs on the side of the road. At least I got to work on my tan.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
a6cd097b-69a4-8710.jpg

Finally made it and heading home. Had to wait 2 hrs on the side of the road. At least I got to work on my tan.

One thing is for sure its looks good sittin on the side of the road or on that rollback.Hay it's a BRONCO. Glad you stayed with it!! Sure did'nt want you to have to post it had been stolen.Hope much isn't wrong with it.

Later,Gene

aaron6920

Loc.
Dorchester, IA
Bummer I have been in the exact same position last fall. My buddy had to come with his trailer. He let me have it being a Chevy guy.......

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Im thinking it is the fuel pump. I checked the filter and it was good. I can't hear or feel the pump in the tank. Am I supposed to feel or hear it?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
If it has an elect. Fuel pump be sure to check the easy things first, Fuses and relays... Then check wiring. After checking your other threads and looking at pics looks like you have a carb'd motor so unless it was added the fuel pump is a mechanical, on the front drivers side of the motor.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Should be, follow the fuel line from the carb down, see if it is connected to the fuel pump, will be on the side near the front. Bolts to the timing cover with the arm going inside. If you have P/S it will be behind the P/S pump.
Will look something like this
6176.jpg

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
be sure and check all your lines for dry rot too, a small crack in the line could be deeper than you think. air is lighter than fuel, it'll suck air up the lines first.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
make sure you have fuel first. your gauge could be stuck. unlikely but possible. from there, if your truck has a carb, check for fuel to the carb. if it isn't getting fuel you have a blocked fuel line or bad fuel pump. hope you get it fixed soon. it should be an easy fix.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I just looked it up and yes is bolted to the block. I took the line "IN" line off from there and blew air back thru the line back into the tank. I must have lost the pumps prime when I also unscrewed the bowl off the bottom of the pump. Tomorrow I'll take the line off from the filter and blow air from the fill pipe all the way forward thru the system to prime and clean it out. Like Chris posted earlier. I just didn't have anyone to help tonight.
I'll let y'all know how it goes.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Damn you guys post fast. 4 replies while I was writing that. I do have gas. In the two hours I was waiting for the wrecker I walked to a gas station and bought a $12 two gallon can $8 dollars to fill it. This sh*t is getting ridiculous. I was hoping it was as easy as that. But no such luck.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
73stallon has a good point, make sure your rubber fuel lines from the tank forward are not cracked or too brittle. If they're old and cracked they will suck air into the system.
Good luck! I'm sure you will do better with a clean mind in the morning.
Chris

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I've checked all the lines and yhey look fine. Good point tho. The previous owner didn't drive it more then 2000 miles in 6 years and only about 10 miles lastyear. I'm thinking the tank had some crap in it. On Thursday I filled up and it started acting funny, sputtering and popping as if it had bad gas. Then Friday and sunday it drove fine until it died.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
I had this happen to me, gas line on main tank a foot from tank was so rotten it leaked gas and sucked air.. switched to aux tank and hurried home..

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
If the PO was driving it that little, I would say the fuel in the tank has started to turn into varnish. Ethanol fuels make this problem worse. You may consider dropping the tank and having it cleaned.

The mechanical fuel pumps are self-priming, so I don't think the issue is that you lost prime. Pull the line off the carb and put it into a container and crank the engine to see if the pump is working. I would replace any filters first, though.