• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke down on the highway. As we speak

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Alright so I blow air thru the fill spout and got gas out from the line just before the filter and carb. A couple really small flakes but nothing major. I emptied the cup and tried cranking the engine to see if I would get any fuel from the pump and did not. Cup was empty after 10 seconds of cranking. I thinking fuel pump. What do y'all think.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Did you disconnect the line going into the fuel pump from the frame and blow compressed air from rear to front? Maybe your blockage is before the fuel pump?

But it does sound like it could be the fuel pump. I dropped my tank when I first got my Bronco, flushed/slushed it with gas and got about 1/4 inch deep of sand and rust scale in my coffee can.

Aahhh... the joys of "vintage" cars :)

On the bright side, nobody was hurt, you found your auto club card, and mechanical fuel pumps aren't super expensive.

C-

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Alright so I blow air thru the fill spout and got gas out from the line just before the filter and carb. A couple really small flakes but nothing major. I emptied the cup and tried cranking the engine to see if I would get any fuel from the pump and did not. Cup was empty after 10 seconds of cranking. I thinking fuel pump. What do y'all think.

I don't bet,but if I did I would say YES IT'S THE FUEL PUMP

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

YES it was the fuel pump. The arm springs broke. I don't know if any pieces fell inside the block, but there were some in the back of the arm housing. New one is coming in tomorrow. Hopefully will be running tomorrow night.
47aa4b32-ef76-2197.jpg

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

How many of y'all are running an electric fuel pump. I'm thinking of going ahead and switching over. A lot easier to work on and replace. What are the pros as cons between the two?

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Mine doesn't have an electric yet, but unless there's some issue with fitting one under there, it will. I have added them to everything older for years. They're self priming. And a hidden switch helps keep one from driving off without you.

A rear mounted pump also helps prevent vaporlock. The stock pump pulls gas over most of the length of the fuel lines. So the gas is under a little vacuum, & is more likely to vaporize compared to gas under pressure from a rear pump. The stock pump doesn't want to pump vapor, which leaves you stuck. The rear pump will continue to pump cool gas from the tank & push any vapor into the bowl & out the vents, if it doesn't cool enough before getting there.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
RivRat,
I'm glad you found the problem. I had an electric fuel pump before and removed it.

Problem 1, when you have a dead battery you can push the Bronco and pop-start it. Right? That works when you have a manual fuel pump.

Electric pump, dead battery, NO FUEL, it will NOT start no matter how fast you push.

Problem 2, when an electric fuel pump fails it's usually a special order part. If you need to replace a manual fuel pump on the road somewhere, any auto parts store will have it in stock.

Just my 2cents.
C-

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Thanks chris
Ours is an automatic so we are screwed either way with your first point.
Our engine had a Holley 80gph pump on it. I may be incorrect but I dont think the stock pump would be sufficient. I was going to get an high performance fuel pump that was the same gph and psi. I'm pretty sure auto zone has them in stock.
Thanks for yalls input.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Those holley pumps are junk
The same thing happened to mine, just let go with no warning

holeyfuelpump.jpg

I replaced mine with a carter mechanical pump, made a lot better, but anything is a improvement over the holley crap

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
nothing wrong with an electric pump, only con i can think of is noise. i've been running one on mine for some time now. and as for not having fuel to the engine if the battery goes dead, the carb still has fuel in the bowls after the engine is shut off.

as for that spring, pieces can get past the timing cover and drop down into the pan. not likely to get into the engine though, heavy enough it can stay in the bottom.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Donsbolt, how long did yours last

mine lasted about a year or so. I replaced it with a Carter mechanical pump. They have a lot better design, the pin for the pivot point goes all the way through the housing, not just held in by two pinch points. There is no way a Carter pump will fail the same way your holley pump failed

I have since gone fuel injection, one of our local bronco brothers is now running my old Carter pump, and it is still running strong

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
For those of you running electric pumps, what kind of safety mechanism do you have to shut the fuel off in case of emergency? Just curious????

Inertia switch, fuel cut-off switch on dash, and ignition switch.

VT_Don

My Holley pump failed as well. One of the check valves became dislodged. Had since run an inexpensive, Delco pump for 20 years with no problems. Installed a new, Carter performance pump during current build and discovered they're now made in Korea.

With the exception of resolving vapor lock, I know of no practical reason to use an electric pump on a carburated motor. The reliabilty is just the that much better.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

SHE'S ALIVE!!!! finally got her running. Had one small leak but a couple turns of the wrench and it was good to go. I replaced it with another Holley pump just because I could get one today. I called probably 5 store and they couldn't get one in for 4-5 days. I'm going to order a Carter or equal As a spare. Thanks for everyones help. I love This forum because there is always someone who know how to fix your problem or has experienced the same situation.