• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke down on the highway. As we speak

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If you got fuel in the tank then it's most likely goin to be the fuel pump.

Sporto

Years ago when running a mech pump, I had the eccentric that bolts to the timing chain sprocket and actuates the pump lever fall off and drop into the front of the oil pan. This pretty much killed the engine on the spot.

I removed the mech pump and put a block off on the TC cover where it mounted. I then switched to an electric pump and mounted it back by the tanks. I have never had a problem with fuel deliver since.

I hope that is not the case for you, as it requires the engine to be torn down to the timing chain, to get that part out of the oil pan. %)

Good luck and keep the faith...

R

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
RivRat,

I had a similar problem that sounds just like yours with my '73.

Hadn't been driven a lot in a year or two (PO). Filled the tank up and it ran fine, but as it got near the bottom of the tank, would sputter and eventually die like out of gas. I changed the fuel pump and filter and it ran fine for about 10 miles, then started the same symptoms. Unscrewed the fuel filter from the carb and tapped it on a paper towel on a work bench....... fine particles of rust grit that was coming from my tank. Seems that condensation over time rusted the tank inside near the top of the tank and when filled up and sloshed around, the sediments break loose and get sucked up to the carb. I replaced the tank and cleaned out the lines and never had another problem.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Mac2night,
Yeah it was sputtering pretty bad when I filled it up from being really low on fuel. We usually filled it up at 1/4 tank but not this time. I'm thinking of just replacing to tank any ways because it is leaking around the outer most ring at the sending unit location. I don't see any gas coming from the sending unit ring. Also what are the two stub outs at the top of the tank for?
a6cd08d9-51a5-75bb.jpg
a6cd08d9-51bc-c58e.jpg

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Mac2night,
Yeah it was sputtering pretty bad when I filled it up from being really low on fuel. We usually filled it up at 1/4 tank but not this time. I'm thinking of just replacing to tank any ways because it is leaking around the outer most ring at the sending unit location. I don't see any gas coming from the sending unit ring. Also what are the two stub outs at the top of the tank for?
a6cd08d9-51a5-75bb.jpg
a6cd08d9-51bc-c58e.jpg

EFI returns?

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I just bought a new tank, 13.5 gallon, and sending unit. I talked to TBP and he said if it is leaking from the outer ring, you can’t fix that with a seal, only if you drain it and try and weld it closed. I’m thinking the tank does have crud in it so I just bit the bullet. Hopefully I don’t have to buy a fuel pump too.

The 2 stub out on the top of the tank, I found out from TBP, which was started in 1973 for 2 lines to run down the frame and up into the cab to a canister behind the driver seat. This was to remove fuel fumes from the tank in case of an impact. California smog emissions.

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
the guy im working with today started asking me bout my bronco today. then he said " i saw one on the side of the highway while driving home. i think it was a international". then i pulled up this thread and asked him if it was orange in color. he said "yea, i think so"...so then i asked him if it looked like this one? he said "how did you do that?"

i know this doesnt fix your problem but it might make you smile for a moment.

btw...when i was getting the same problem...i ended up changing to a duraspark setup. no more "highway surveys" for me.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

i decided to go with the 13.5 gallon just because its not going to save me any money in the long run and she really doesnt drive it that much anyways.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

fatboy.
It is hard to miss being almost florecent orange in the sun.

I only had two people stop in 2 hours. One was to make sure we were ok, and because he saw our 3 and 1 yr old in thier car seats in the back. The other just bearly missed me when they were pulling over and the passenger opened her door and threw up for about 3 mins right in front of me. My neighbor actully passed me and didnt notice. I went to his 3yr olds Bday party once we had the bronco dropped off at the houes. He said "man what happened, why are you all burned". I found out he was in that exact area picking up food for the party and didnt see me.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The capped ports on the tank are for the fuel tank venting. If air can't get in, fuel can't come out.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I will on the new tank. I just noticed the caps on the top of the tank. We have only owned it for 3 weeks, so we are still learning.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
RivRat,
On those two vent tubes off the gas tank, it your don't use them you can just run a hose connecting them to each other. Also, if you think you might have "bad" gas try a bottle of Heats, it's a water remover or some of the octain booster additives will also remove water from the gas. I keep two bottles of that stuff in both cars.
Good luck!
Chris

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Owning one of these great old vehicles is going to turn you into a mechanic if aren't one already. So be ready...
In a few years, you'll be able to diagnose everything on your own just about.. :)

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Mark. I've had an FJ40 for 12 years, I've improved my mechanicness over the years. So I know what you are talking about.

Viperwolf: when I asked TBP what the stub outs to the left of the fill spout he told me they were for the CA emissions

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

Oops accidentally sent with out finishing.

......They were for CA emissions and aren't needed anymore. He told me to connect a pipe between the two. The air vent is on the right of the fill pipe.
a6cd08d9-8fd7-5eaf.jpg

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Oops accidentally sent with out finishing.

......They were for CA emissions and aren't needed anymore. He told me to connect a pipe between the two. The air vent is on the right of the fill pipe.

Though if your cap isn't vented then the tank still wont vent
get a proper cap for one of those lines, and put a good fuel rated hose, with a filter on the end for the other to act as a vent

Or block the two lines off with a fuel rated hose, and get a vented cap, if yur cap isn't allready vented

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
TBP is wrong. Those are for tank venting and liquid fuel return on the '70 or '71 and up with sealed caps. The big vent allows the tank to breath for tank filling only.