• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken axle question

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
I broke a rear axle, right at the splines, the splined piece is still in the carrier. I tried to get it out with a magnet, no luck. I can't remember (and I just had it apart 2 months ago) but is it possible to pull the other axle and go from that side and "push" this piece into the axle tube and fish it out with a magnet? or do I have to pull the 3rd member again?

TIA
Bob

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
i don't know which carrier you are running. but i'd say that the spider gears and cross pin will keep you from pushing it out from the other side. i've seen extreme cases where we had to pull the carrier out, weld a bolt to the broken axle, and then pull it out.
good luck,
jason

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If it's a Detroit Locker then there is a small hole that goes through. The rest of the carriers will probably have the cross pin in the way. I would try to drop the third member out anyway to look inside and be sure everything in there is still intact. By the time both axles are pulled you are only a dozen or so nuts and the driveline away from dropping it.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Pull it and ck. for little broken pc. so they dont get into the gears and bugger them up good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :p :cool: ;D

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Piece if garden hose as long as the axle tube, tack enough welding rods together to reach the broken stub. Turn the welder on with the rods in the tube then move them in and tack weld the broken stub and pull it out. Dont laugh, it works. Couldnt believe it the first time I saw it done

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mtkawboy said:
Piece if garden hose as long as the axle tube, tack enough welding rods together to reach the broken stub. Turn the welder on with the rods in the tube then move them in and tack weld the broken stub and pull it out. Dont laugh, it works. Couldnt believe it the first time I saw it done
LOL. I gotta remember that as a trail fix. ;D I usually carry thin rod with me so we can use 3 batteries and 2 sets of jumper cables if we need to do any welding on the trail. ;) It wasn't long ago I would have done that to get an end out if I had known about it. In the end I dropped the third member to knock it out since it still wouldn't budge with a thin rod stuck through the locker.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
First time I saw it done it was a trail fix on a swamp buggy in the Everglades. Im laughing my ass off at how stupid this guy is when he drags the axle stub out with the end of the welding rod. He apparently broke them all the time and changed them that way. I used it a lot on my 427 powered 57 ford. I had 17 left side axles becasue the junk yard would only sell them as a pair. It works!