• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken Oil Pressure Extension?

broncojack

Contributor
Anyone have any alternitave solutions on how to remove the threads that have sheared off in my timing cover?
I am thinking drill out to 5/16 and use a larger ez-out/ extractor? Last time I used one I broke it and ended up drilling it out anyways.

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
oil extension

About 2 months ago on this thread a guy had one broken with easyout broken off inside,ck.the thread ,there were all kind of ideas and advice.

65 mustang

oil pressure extension comes out of the block? if your problem is in the timing cover, a little heat might help before the e-z out.aluminum will expand faster than the steel extension.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Plumbing store (real one) get a 1/4" pipe extracter.

Or get someone who can type faster then me

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T USE AN E-Z OUT!!! i had one break off in the remaining tube almost 2 years ago. it cost me an engine block. best thing you can do is make your own extension out of a smaller piece of tubing. drill out the inside and re-tap it with a pipe tap. be sure and put heavy grease on your drill bit and tap to catch all the metal shavings.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
There are ways to get out a broken EZ out tool. It depends on your predicament. In some cases you get out your steel drift and punch it right through....

68ford

Bronco Guru
im a big fan of the drill to minor diameter the re tap it. i allways use left hand drills, sometimes youll get lucky and the drill flute will catch and unthread the broken bolt/fitting or whatever it is.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Heres how i did one once. Using good quality drill bits keep gradually drilling it out to a larger size hole untill you only have threads from the object left in the block, then pick out the remainder with a scribe. Chase the threads with a 1/4' pipe tap. Then run the engine for a few seconds with the open hole to flush out any remaining crap or shavings. It should come out fairly easy since this is an oil gallery, so it shouldnt be rusted in there.

OP
OP
broncojack

broncojack

Contributor
Well I got it out with no damage. I drilled it out to 5/16 then I shot it with some NOS to freeze it to make it shrink. Then I used a large ez-out on it and it backed right out.
Thank's for everyones help,
Jack