• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken welds on door window frame question

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hello everyone!
I need to weld up a crack on the front side of my drivers door. The frame cracked just above the weld on the interior side. It is starting to vibrate when I am driving which is not making the crack any smaller. I want to try to save as much paint as possible from getting burnt up, I was going to try cold wet rags. Before I start does anyone have any better solutions?
Thanks in advance!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
cold wet makes welded steel brittle. got to get the red out first. If you mig it do a bead cool it and lay the next bead 1/2 into the last one and cool it chicken peck it like it until your done. your still going to burn paint just not as bad. you can also hang a weld magnet in the area to act as a heat sink.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I appreciate the replies. The welding is no problem, I have been doing that for a long time. What I am trying to keep under control is the paint on the outside of the door which is about an inch and a half away from where I am welding. I figured if I can keep that part cool while the actual welded part is still hot it will keep me from having a messed up section of paint on the outside of the door. I plan on using spray paint to fix the inside as best I can. I was just curious if anyone had a better solution.
Thanks again! I always appreciate the help!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
^^^This^^^

One of the POs of mine welded in a small metal brace over 30 years ago, not pretty but it has held all of these years!

That was a good idea. Unfortunately mine is on the front side of the door.

DC_Gearhead

I'm assuming you are going to remove the window and felt to weld from the inside? I'd just prep it good with a wire wheel and make the welds quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71 CA Bronco

I'm assuming you are going to remove the window and felt to weld from the inside? I'd just prep it good with a wire wheel and make the welds quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times 2 on the removing window felt. That stuff catches fire easily. %)

Bronco4x4

A blow gun nearby to cool the weld helps. You may also want to hold a steel dolly nearby to act as a heat sink. I have used a dolly and a cooling bucket of water to minimize heat distortion when welding sheetmetal.

jbchurchill

what about just removing the window frame? that is what i am toying with... just keep the front bit around the triangle-shaped window.

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
I just repaired the window frame in my drivers door on my 66 this spring. Removed window frame, Wire feed welder, little bead cool skip little bead… sanded with a die grinder and 2” wheel and touch up Paint..

Just paid to be a contributor but can’t post photos yet I will as soon as I’m approved! I did earlier last year but membership must have run out…
C

66CTBronco

Contributor
Loc.
New england
Ah here we go…

Attachments

• 19B152A3-6429-4A88-8D65-75AAD724B0FE.jpeg
    19B152A3-6429-4A88-8D65-75AAD724B0FE.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 7334D07F-B70E-4ADC-9D1F-6303984905D9.jpeg
    7334D07F-B70E-4ADC-9D1F-6303984905D9.jpeg