• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco as a daily driver? safety ratings?

G

My dad is thinking of buying an offroading vehicle for his next car so we can go offroading. But he's worried that an old bronco wont be up to the daily driving. Could an early bronco be fit enough to drive daily? He's also worried about the safety of them. Roll overs, crash ratings, and stuff like that. Help me convince my dad to get a bronco! thanks! ;D

cadun

Loc.
Santa Barbara &amp San Francisco, Ca
I'd say about 75% of the people here drive their broncos everyday. They take some general upkeep, but if you are willing to do it they're great trucks to use as an everyday vehicle. As for safety, I've never been in an accident with mine, but I've seen tons of pictures of people who have, and more often than not the other car's totaled and the bronco only got some superficial body damage... be sure to get one with a roll bar, good brakes, and decent seatbelts and you'll be as safe as any car out there today. Plus, you can't beat an EB for offroading! :) -
CD

75dlydrvr

Loc.
Colorado
I've driven my Bronco everyday for the past 15 years. If you have the time to keep up on the maintenance I think it's a good vehicle. Draw backs include gas milage, sometimes comfort and the lack of snow. <br><br>Hope this helps.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I don't think of mine as unsafe and I drive it like a mad man most of the time. No airbags, big deal. No ten mph bumpers , big deal again. Chances are if I hit something I'll be going more than ten mph anyway. The Bronco frame is by far better than a new Explorer. I think if you have seat belts and the body is not a total rot box there should be no problem with safety. If you think back about 20 - 30 years and see what they faced out there on the road ( bigger, heavier cars and trucks ) getting hit by one of these new light weight cars shouldn't even faze it. I'll take my chances . You can build a LOT of safety into a Bronco for a couple thousand bucks. Much cheaper than $35,000 for a new Explorer or one of those off brands. Just my 2 cents

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=joe17 link=board=5;threadid=12549;start=0#93601 date=1040584581]<br>My dad is thinking of buying an offroading vehicle for his next car so we can go offroading. But he's worried that an old bronco wont be up to the daily driving. Could an early bronco be fit enough to drive daily? He's also worried about the safety of them. Roll overs, crash ratings, and stuff like that. Help me convince my dad to get a bronco! thanks! ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>It all depends on if your dad is a maniac, or dosent have time to wrench on the thing. Also if you think your gonna get good gas mi....forget it.....look somewhere else. The Classic Bronco isn't just for everybody. Dont fool yourself into thinking that these will fill that bill.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I think that all the above have sumed it up very well now just get your dad out there and test drive one and once he get's behind the wheel he will be hooked just like the rest of us ::)

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=12549;start=0#93648 date=1040598408]<br>I drive mine everyday.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Me too, i think im going over the top or them if someone hits me or I hit someone lol.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Two words.....OLD IRON! It just does'nt get any better. You won't get a lot of the modern ammenities with a bronc(unless you add them), but the fun factor and cool factor are both off the scale. Of course we're all biased here, but I'm on my third bronc. It just seems that I keep coming back to the best 4x4 ever built.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I live in Florida, the capitol of the "un-insured motorist"....and you should see those Hippies get out of my way! 8)<br><br>I added disc brakes, a Protofab roll cage and 3-point shoulder harness seat belts, so I feel perfectly safe.

Nuke

I'm going to play the bad guy here. 8) <br><br>I will agree if an EB and a Civic were in an accident together, I would rather be in the EB. In all most any other case, I would rather be in Civic.<br><br>Flip over<br><br>First off, the Bronco is more likely to flip over due to its higher center of mass. This can be avoided my not driving like a dumba$$ but if you are as young as I think you are, you will drive like a dumba$$ just like I did. So now that you have flipped your Bronco over, I hope you have a good roll cage. Now a days, most people have installed something so you probably will have one, just pray its installed right. So you head isn't being banged up because you have a roll cage, but did you install at least a 3 point seat belt? If not, you will probably enjoy a nice stay at the local hospital because of your internal injuries.<br><br>Avoidance<br><br>I go slow everywhere with my Bronco. No quick turns, no quick braking. It just can't do it like my car can. Now, yes I don't have disks which would help out a lot and maybe with better suspension it would handle better, but how much money is your dad willing to spend?<br><br>Head on Collision<br><br>Here, the strength of the frame will help you, but there are no crumple zones--you might get a face full of hood or steering column. No air bag--nice imprint of a steering wheel on your face. And did you install that 3 pint seat belt?<br><br>Now please understand, I love my Bronco and I really don't want to discourage anyone from getting one. When I was 16 (I'm 26 now) I totaled my parents brand new New Yorker by running a stop sign I didn't see, got tboned, took out a one way sign and two power line poles. And that was just the worst thing I did.<br><br>To the rest of you, I hope I didn't start a flame war. I just thought the opinions were too biased here. Please forgive my blasphemy. ;)

MI-Bronco

<br>I share Nuke's thoughts. Mine is not a daily driver for most of those reasons. And b/c MI puts salt on the roads (arrgg). <br><br>You _really_ need to look at what has been done to any EB you're considering. Many have been made much safer than from the factory e.g. new steering wheel, disc brakes, 3 point harness, larger tires. <br><br>The frame is solid, but cars do need crumple zones to absorb force. Without those, your boby absorbs the force. <br><br>Only you and your Dad know 1) how you will drive, and 2) how much time and money you want to put into this rig --- so use those items to make your decision.<br><br>For me, I'll buy my son (15) a $3000.00 caprice classic for a daily driver and keep the EB for other days.<br>

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
what? some people dont drive theirs as an everyday driver? just kidding but seriously tho, i know most people drive thier eb as daily drivers as do i. the main thing to keep in mind is its far from a sports car. if you remember that at all times while youre driving an eb you should be okay. sure i could drive my new explorer everywhere but nothing beats the waves and the smiles you will get from passerbys showing their appreciation for a true classic

Sharkman

Loc.
Austin, Tx.
I will tell you this about Broncos. They can take a hit and drive on. I am a Fire Fighter and we responded to a Motor Vehicle Accident. I'm sorry to say it involved a fatality, actualy 2. :'( It also involved a Bronco that was crossing a intersection and a 90'ish Mustange ran a red light and was T-Boned my this Bronco. The people in the car all died on the scene. The Bronco, well we will just say after the cop's did their investigation the owner of that pony got in to his truck and drove home. I still see that Bronco around town. I have been to alot of wrecks and in that case the Bronco showed how tough it really can be. In my opinion it saved that guy's life or at least major injury. :-[

Loc.
Speedwell TN
the bronc is not a safe vehicle!!! i ditto nuke but you must also consider getting hit from behind. if you have the low back seat youll have broken vertebrae and if you get real hard from behind your head will be laying in the back seat. i know an emt who seen that one before. there is a reason all cars now have a "head rest".

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
As with any vehicle, a Bronco is as safe as you are. <br><br>Upgrade the mechanicals (such as brakes) and add roll protection, good seat and seat belts, then the rest is in the driver's hands. Your driving habbits determine whether it is safe or not.

OP
OP
G

I would say yes. To minimize the risks posed by an older truck, you need to do the following. <br><br>1. All brakes and steering checked.<br>2. All frame and structural body rust fixed.<br>3. Full roll cage tied into the frame in at least four places<br>4. High back seats mounted solidly to the floor, but preferably the roll cage.<br>5. Full harness seat belts mounted solidly to the floor, but preferable the cage. <br>6. Use common sense

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=greasergrrl link=board=5;threadid=12549;start=15#93802 date=1040671076]<br>I'd certainly want to be in my Bronco in an accident than my Miata.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I've heard some people use miata's as jackstands ;) ;D