• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco based rock crawler

Mike Hewett

I have decided to build a '72 bronco based crawler. I am going to take the body off one of my broncos and use the frame and a bronco suspension system from Duff's that is on another bronco of mine and make a rock buggy. I am going to make the tube body so it mounts to the body mounts on the frame. That way in the future I can convert it right back to a bronco by placing the body on it. I am going to put 1 ton full width running stock under it. I am just sick of worrying about the body on my nice bronco when off roading. Any body else done this sort of thing?;D

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't done it but it sounds like a Formula Toyota. I'd weld the tube chassis to the frame rails since you can always cut it off easy enough later on. There's no reason to rely on the strength of your body mounts...you just risk tweaking them up to where a regular body tub wouldn't just bolt back on later anyways.

I believe someone is grafting a Hendrix F-Toy chassis to his Bronco running gear on Pirate (NickM? maybe) but it doesn't look like he's ever planning on converting back to a body. :cool:

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Sounds like a very cool idea Mike! However, I'd have to agree with Apogee, that it would be better to weld it up like they do the formulas. It would be stronger and safer than bolting it all together IMO. It would be sweet to be able to switch out bodies though like that!

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Bronco Buggy Ideas

Formula Toy EB

The newest Darkside rig to the LEBC:
newbronco.jpg

Another LEBC Darkside rig:
LeeN1.jpg

Yet another LEBC Darkside rig:
ChrisTowry4.jpg

You can see another LEBC 'truggy' in the pics from the BC Broncos Grand Opening thread.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I'm with ya but I decided not to use a 30 year old frame so I made it all from scratch .

howiebilt

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mike, sorry for the highjack,
Gummi Bear, is the silver and black addition from Al.? Looks like one a buddy of mine built and had on ebay.
Thanks

OP
OP
M

Mike Hewett

I was at work today when I posted, so I did not have a lot of time to write.
I actually have a pretty nice '72 right now that has a 2" body lift, 3.5" Duffs suspension and 35" tires. I would like to build the tube body, mount it on the frame and then swap the 302, NP435, and D20 over to the rock buggy when I get it built. If I use the bronco frame and suspension that I have on the nice bronco my fabrication won't be quite as extensive. I should have said earlier that I have another 72 that needs some work. I would like to use the frame off of it and just swap over everything else. I would love to have a rig I can take out and get rough with and not have to worry about it. I will post pics if I ever do it.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Mike Hewett said:
I was at work today when I posted, so I did not have a lot of time to write.
I actually have a pretty nice '72 right now that has a 2" body lift, 3.5" Duffs suspension and 35" tires. I would like to build the tube body, mount it on the frame and then swap the 302, NP435, and D20 over to the rock buggy when I get it built. If I use the bronco frame and suspension that I have on the nice bronco my fabrication won't be quite as extensive. I should have said earlier that I have another 72 that needs some work. I would like to use the frame off of it and just swap over everything else. I would love to have a rig I can take out and get rough with and not have to worry about it. I will post pics if I ever do it.

It sounds like the Hendrix frame is exactly what you're describing.

Look at the links I posted, and you may try getting in touch with Nick, and talking to him about his buildup. He's done some neat stuff.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
kb6677 said:
Mike, sorry for the highjack,
Gummi Bear, is the silver and black addition from Al.? Looks like one a buddy of mine built and had on ebay.
Thanks

It seems like the new owner said that he picked it up in Arkansas. I have no idea of it's history, sorry. It could very well be your buddy's rig.

alansou

Gummi Bear said:
It seems like the new owner said that he picked it up in Arkansas. I have no idea of it's history, sorry. It could very well be your buddy's rig.

That is the rig Scott Schlapman built this winter.
Somebody got a screamin deal on that.

BTW: Putting a tube body on a bronco frame and suspension does not make it a "buggy".
Why do I get the feeling I am opening a BIG can of worms by saying that?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
alansou said:
That is the rig Scott Schlapman built this winter.
Somebody got a screamin deal on that.

BTW: Putting a tube body on a bronco frame and suspension does not make it a "buggy".
Why do I get the feeling I am opening a BIG can of worms by saying that?

"there is no can..."

I'd say that anything without a tub is a buggy, regardless of suspension; but hey, I'm no regulatory commission. ;D

From the pics I've seen, it looks like a cool rig. With a few personal touches, and some tuning, I think it's going to be a great rig for the new owner.