• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco Based on Subcompact?!?!?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Another thought for the Ford engineer: Send a link to the current "Survey..................How'd you get your EB?" thread over to the folks at Ford who are making these crazy decisions. Ask them if this new product is likely to inspire anything near the passion, love and loyalty from its owners that is demonstrated in the posts in that thread. That thread should be required reading at FoMoCo. Yeah Ford probably didn't make much money on the initial sale of the 66-77 Broncos. But the enthusiasm those vehicles inspired continues to grow even nearly 30 years after they ended production on it. This has resulted in many many loyal Ford customers, who probably buy other Fords because they love their old Bronco so much. I can just about guarantee the new econobox will have no life beyond its lifespan of a disposable mode of basic transportation. It certainly won't continue to pay dividends in the form of loyal customers for decades after its finally put out of its misery.

Dusty

Dusty

Hogback

Dusty said:
And it demonstrates Ford's cavalier attitude toward its enthusiast base, who, when the chips are down are the only customers they can always count on.

Dusty

thats the goofiest thing i've ever heard, "we" are not the only poeple they can count on. You think people care about the past when shopping for a new car? Probably 90% of new car buyers dont even know who Henry Ford was, they are just looking for the vehicle that compliments their lifestyle. And Ford is looking to fill that void with a marketable car. I agree that i would hate for them to put the name Bronco on a cracker box SUV, but remember its their name, its their company, and there are lots of people out their who are looking for another tin can suv to drive home.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
1977 said:
Let's all just hope that they don't call it a Bronco, ESPECIALLY if it's front wheel drive.

I seem to remember that at some point in the not so distant past that Ford was considering making the Mustang front wheel drive. That was quickly squashed. Sometimes you have to put profit and other things aside for the sake of keeping an American Icon alive, or at least true-to-form.

You are correct. The 1987 Ford Probe was initially supposed to be the replacement for the Mustang. The initial prototypes had the Mustang badge in the grill. It was the enthusiast's response that prompted Ford to rethink the move to Front Wheel Drive for the Mustang and ended up calling it the Probe. Every person on this site should go to www.ford.com, click on "Contact Us" and give them an ear-full.

I couldn't agree more that if it doesn't kick the Rubicon's ass, it shouldn't be called a Bronco. (BTW...I have nothing to do with the program in question and have heard nothing other than what was seen a couple of years ago at the autoshow.) I've always loved the Early Bronco, and would hate to see the name tarnished. (Hell, I even think the Bronco II tainted the name, but there are still some people that like those too.....weakest POS I've seen off-road.)

Hogback

that was something i was going to say (that the broncoII was a POS) but didn't want stir up too much more excitement, so thanks for saying it. Thats right though, they did (the II's) hurt the bronco name. Everytime someone asks me if my rig is a BII i grit my teeth.
As long as Ford makes this new Bronco better that a Heep i think that's all we can expect. If they make it less able (off road), they they have lost their minds. Heep sells a lot of vehicles and reall ycaters to the single and the adventuresome, so think the new Bronco could have similar characteristics such as roll bars and off road capability. Front wheel drive wouldnt be the end of the world if they would use a stout system, not some weeny double wishbone crap (provided that rear drive was their upon command)

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I just sent an email to ford.com

Come on, there is no point complaining if we are not going to do something about it.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
sstlaure nailed it right on the head. It's all about the bottom line. If the economics of the Mustang line were similiar to the Bronco line, you can bet you wouldn't see any commercials with Bill Ford insisting that if he could only have one car it would be a red Mustang with a V8 and a stick. Instead, they'd be making a special GT Focus with the Mustang badge on it. When times are bad for a line (SUV's right now, so no Bronco's with V8's), they change the line to meet current political/environmental/market demands. Like sstlaure said, see how close they came to making a Mustang out of what we now know as the Probe. What happened to their "a Mustang should always have a V8" rhetoric then?

If I was Bill Ford, then I would be equally proud of the uniqueness of the Bronco and insist on it meeting certain quality standards. A great example of true consumer enthusiasm would be how Range Rover (which oddly enough is now part of Ford) insists on there models being able to climb a certain grade, ford a certain depth of water, etc.

To be honest, I won't buy anything from Ford anyways. Ford contributes to environmental groups like Sierra Club, who are actively involved in shutting down the trails we like to take our Broncos on.

Today's Ford corporation is more interested in kissing the a$$ of groups who criticize them for producing SUV's than paying attention to groups like us that support one of their marque's. Which is fine, I love my old Ford, but the rest of the company is going to have to win me back as a consumer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this reminds me of people that still sport #3 stickers in their window like Earnhardt knew them or something. Seriously, enjoy the sport but please don't delude yourself into thinking you had a personal relationship with the guy. Same thing with Ford. Enjoy your rig, critique them, but don't actually delude yourself into thinking they really give a damn about anything beyond the bottom line.

BTW-sstlaure, I say these things with no ill-will towards you as your livelihood is with Ford. Anyways, I'm sure my consumer 'activism' won't be threatening your job anytime soon. ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
joser said:
I just sent an email to ford.com

Come on, there is no point complaining if we are not going to do something about it.

I went to Ford.com i did not see an e-mail address only snail mail.

Can someone post it?

sstlaure how about dumping the company addressbook onto the site?

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
ransil said:
I went to Ford.com i did not see an e-mail address only snail mail.

Can someone post it?

sstlaure how about dumping the company addressbook onto the site?

Sorry, I like being employed. I'll see if I can find a link for people to go directly to.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
mlogan24 said:
To be honest, I won't buy anything from Ford anyways. Ford contributes to environmental groups like Sierra Club, who are actively involved in shutting down the trails we like to take our Broncos on.

What large company doesn't contribute to clubs or organizations that don't promote what you believe in? I bleed blue, I have always been and will always be a FORD guy, even tho I have to hike 11 miles because my Ford F-350 quit on me. If you don't mind being naked and hungry, then I guess you can get by without buying something from a company the promotes the opposite of what you believe. Is it right? No, I wish there still were gear-heads in the top management positions who really care for more then just the money.

J.D.

Hogback

i don't know why i feel compelled to play the devil's advocated but i just feel the need to point out a few things about business. No business is in charity, Ford will not pump billions into a new bronco program that only yileds an old looking heavy suv that wont sell, that would be, as stated earlier, suicide. Plus the feds would shut them down for all types of environmental laws and fine them and what not. You guys just have to read the writing on the wall, it spells small light-weight modern suv. They arent going to rebuild the eb. It's not going to have a D20 or solid axles. It's a new age, we have to accept that. Back to what i said about business, i've been in business a while and what i've learned is that the businesses that adapt live, those that don't die. Plain and simple. They are going to do what they feel is needed to make a profit.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
74BroncoCO said:
What large company doesn't contribute to clubs or organizations that don't promote what you believe in? I bleed blue, I have always been and will always be a FORD guy, even tho I have to hike 11 miles because my Ford F-350 quit on me. If you don't mind being naked and hungry, then I guess you can get by without buying something from a company the promotes the opposite of what you believe. Is it right? No, I wish there still were gear-heads in the top management positions who really care for more then just the money.

J.D.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way naive about how many large companies contribute to different things I don't agree with (most of them)-hell, the owners of my company donated $38 mill to a party that I can't stand-won't say which one to be nice to everybody ;D

The point is, when I have a choice I act on it-I'm not going to give in and justify my purchases with "They all donate to bad causes" or "Everything is made in China". So, if there is a product that costs more or isn't quite what I want but the company makes an effort to have a product made domestically or whatever, then I'll choose to buy from them. It's called having integrity and acting on your words ;D

Hogback

either way it will all come out in the wash - it will either be a success or a failure, if it's a failure we'll all say we told you so, but if it's a success we'll just gripe about it anyway because its not an eb. If it is a success then Ford will say mission accomplished.

97XEB

I sent my comments and complaints in via a form on the corporate site. (Couldn't find a Ford specific email address...which is just ridiculous.)

My feeling is that if they're not going to make the new Bronco a very capable, truly off road worthy vehicle, consistent with its lineage...they shouldn't call it Bronco!!! To do so would be a huge insult to us and our vehicles.

I think if they just took some risk and built the new Bronco to compete head on with the Wranglers, Hummers and PowerWagons they would not only have vehicle truly worthy of the Bronco name, but also a HUGE winner on their hands. Make it solid axle FRONT and rear. Build it on a TRUCK frame and drivetrain... even the Explorers. Make selectable front and rear lockers factory options. Make 33s factory options. Make a 4.x low range transfer case a factory option. Don't make it a mainstream marketing off roader, ie the FX4 package. Make it a very capable, real World off roader. Test it out at Moab or on the Rubicon - like both Chevy and Jeep do.

For better, or for worse, off roading is getting more and more mainstream than ever before. In order to explore / exploit this potential new, major niche market, many other major car manufacturers have come with vehicles that are truly off road worthy and capable. (Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Hummer H1-3, Dodge PowerWagon, etc.) Ford really needs to a risk - they might just be rewarded more so than ever expected.

COME ON FORD!!! Have some Balls! Take a risk. Make a real Bronco, or don't call it a Bronco!

Ok, I'm done now....

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
HotWheels said:
You can PM me if you like. What is wrong with the new T-bird? ?:?

they tried to be true to the cute little sports car and the big cruiser, and came up with one that looked like the little corvette competitor, but oversized. not as cool as the little ones, or the big ones. just a mutant.

i think they should call the new one- the PINTO.

Attachments

• bird5501.JPG
    bird5501.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 7
  • bird6101.JPG
    bird6101.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 6

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
97XEB said:
I sent my comments and complaints in via a form on the corporate site. (Couldn't find a Ford specific email address...which is just ridiculous.)

My feeling is that if they're not going to make the new Bronco a very capable, truly off road worthy vehicle, consistent with its lineage...they shouldn't call it Bronco!!! To do so would be a huge insult to us and our vehicles.

I think if they just took some risk and built the new Bronco to compete head on with the Wranglers, Hummers and PowerWagons they would not only have vehicle truly worthy of the Bronco name, but also a HUGE winner on their hands. Make it solid axle FRONT and rear. Build it on a TRUCK frame and drivetrain... even the Explorers. Make selectable front and rear lockers factory options. Make 33s factory options. Make a 4.x low range transfer case a factory option. Don't make it a mainstream marketing off roader, ie the FX4 package. Make it a very capable, real World off roader. Test it out at Moab or on the Rubicon - like both Chevy and Jeep do.

For better, or for worse, off roading is getting more and more mainstream than ever before. In order to explore / exploit this potential new, major niche market, many other major car manufacturers have come with vehicles that are truly off road worthy and capable. (Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Hummer H1-3, Dodge PowerWagon, etc.) Ford really needs to a risk - they might just be rewarded more so than ever expected.

COME ON FORD!!! Have some Balls! Take a risk. Make a real Bronco, or don't call it a Bronco!

Ok, I'm done now....

Maybe this helps to illustrate the point (USA Today)

Automakers jack up mpg PDQ
And with gas at $3 a gallon, they're not being shy about it
USA Today 09/16/05
by Chris Woodyard
(Copyright 2003)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- At the debut of its new midsize sedan here last month, Ford Motor honchos noted that the Fusion's raised rear will give it a gas-saving edge as it slips through the wind.

At General Motors, engineers are eliminating the radio antenna mast in the next-generation Chevrolet Tahoe being unveiled Tuesday. By imbedding the antenna in window glass instead, the full-size SUV will save a tiny-but-every-bit-counts 0.001 miles per gallon of gas.

Not to be outdone, Chrysler Group's new chief is curious about whether some of the horses in its engines can be put out to pasture to boost fuel economy. Even the vaunted Hemi isn't off-limits.

In America's auto industry, alarms are sounding about sky-high gas prices. Executives watched helplessly as sales of their most profitable vehicles, large SUVs, slipped amid escalating gas prices even before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast.

Fearful that the shock of having to shell out $3 for a gallon of gas may warp buyer sensibilities, auto executives are scrambling to find ways to play up fuel savings.

Detroit is in a short-term bind, there's no question about it, says industry consultant Peter DeLorenzo, publisher of Autoextremist.com. People are finally realizing, `Maybe I don't need to get 13 miles per gallon.'

Automakers are rushing out ads and showroom signs to point out gas-stingy vehicles. They're trying to figure out how to retune existing models to squeeze a few more miles a gallon out of them. And they're trying to perfect aerodynamics of new models to boost sales as they work feverishly to move hybrid gas-electric models to market.

The sudden interest marks a reversal from the horsepower wars that dominated the industry until summer, says Jeremy Anwyl, president of car buyers research site Edmunds.com.

At least the latest gas crunch hits at a time when the industry, in a modest break from years of dependence on high-profit SUV sales, is coming out with some smaller, more-efficient models. Ford says its Fusion gets up to 31 mpg on the highway. And GM's Chevrolet division just started selling the HHR, a small SUV rated at 30 mpg.

Fuel savers can't arrive soon enough. Rising gas prices have wreaked havoc on sales of large SUVs this year. Sales of the Dodge Durango, GMC Yukon and Ford Expedition plummeted 20%, 30% and 40%, respectively, in August, Autodata reports, although inventories were low after the summer's booming employee discount promotions. Overall in August, Detroit automakers' combined sales were only off 3.2% compared with the same period last year.

Some of the bigger vehicles from the Japanese and South Koreans suffered, too. Toyota saw 4Runner SUV sales fall 16%. Hyundai Santa Fe SUV sales were down 48%.

Recent polls validate the auto industry's thinking. Nearly half of the adults responding to a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll taken Aug. 28-29 said they would seriously consider buying a hybrid car even if it meant having to pay $3,000 more.

Even though only 2% were paying more than $3 a gallon for gas when the poll was taken, nearly 40% said they expect the price of gas to top $3 next year.

Another poll taken about the same time found six out of 10 potential car buyers said soaring gas prices have either changed their minds or strongly influenced their purchase decisions, a strong increase from July, according to the Kelley Blue Book/Harris Interactive survey.

As far as shopping for a car, it's No. 1, pharmacist Todd Key, 34, in Liberty Township, Ohio, says about gas mileage. He says he's ready to ditch his 1998 Ford F-150 pickup because it gets only 13 miles a gallon and buy a fuel-efficient small sedan -- probably a Ford Focus or Honda Civic -- because gas is taking money out of my pocket.

With gas prices trickling back down as the Gulf Coast's oil industry revives, it's yet to be seen whether consumers will abide by their newfound energy vows. Gas prices will have to approach $4 a gallon and stay there for a year before consumers are willing to downsize to smaller vehicles, says Tom Libby, analyst for J.D. Power and Associates.

In the past, analysts said the same thing about $3-a-gallon gas.

There was a bit more to the story, but I think that makes the point.

I personally think that a new F-150 based Bronco could fit the bill. The SuperCrew uses a nice strong rear end, the front suspension is ready made for coil-overs/air bump-stops (check out the Fabtech kits that are out for the new F-150, they're sweeeeeeeet). Unfortunately, anything that will satisfy our needs would surely be a gas sucker. I agree that the Bronco name shouldn't be used for anything other than a Bronco. Just as the Mustang name shouldn't have been put on a Pinto....unfortunately it was.

hogback said:
businesses that adapt live, those that don't die. Plain and simple....

I couldn't have said that better myself.