• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco brothers in New Mexico: Title Help

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Apparently there is a very significant difference between these two questions:
"Do you have a clear title" and "Do you have a clear title in your name.":mad: So I drove all the way to New Mexico to pick up a rig and upon arrival found out the owner had not changed the title over to his name. I have a New Mexico title in the previous owner's name, signed. What is the law in New Mexico? Is it worth a trip there to try and get a clean title in my name rather than a bonded title here in Texas? Can I even get it fixed in New Mexico? Appreciate any advice. I'm close to having my rig ready to roll and I want to have the title squared away before then. Thanks!

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have an "open" title, which is good in many states that Ive registered different cars.

Unless Texas has some crazy rules like some of the Eastern States -I doubt it, DMV won't know or care who you bought it from. So ownership will transfer directly from the owners name on the title, to the new buyers name (your name) on the title.

Backyard dealers and flippers do this all the time, I'm not saying its "right", but at the same time there is nothing preventing you from getting a good title in your name.

Just put your name in the section for buyer and register it in your name.

That said, a few states have some weird rules and a few paraniod people make a bigger issue outta titles/ frame VIN numbers, than needs to be.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
In Texas we have an additional form you have to fill out and both parties have to sign. It doesn't have to be notarized tho. Anyway, sure would like to avoid a bonded title if I can.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Bought one bronco and a f350 out of TX........they do not handle things like OK, I was kind of surprised.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Often times the crabby ol' women who work in the DMV offices are so used to be nasty, that if you offer them freindly conversation and a plesant attitude they forget about their incompetence, and often times unfamilar with out of state titles.

I've had very, VERY little trouble with titles over the years, however occassionally a California, Nevada, or Arizona title will be an issue (and heavy tax penalities). Colorado is one of the easiest state to get a good title, Alaska & Wyoming are easy also,... then just transfer into what ever state you *really* want it in after that.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Does your AAA in Texas do registrations and transfers like the do here in CA? If they do it, it can be allot easier to join them and talk to them about transfers. As for your version of the DMV when I had a boat title problem I had to deal with our DMV directly. My approach was like another poster. I cheerefully smiled and a little chit chat on hows your day going goes along way. Then I said I think I have a problem and could you please help me? This took the beaten down clerk into a very nice professional who went out of her way to get me all the right paperwork and even check with a sienor officer to make sure everything will be done properly the first time. What ever you do dont make your bad day dealing with the DMV their bad day dealing with you.

The poor clerk at the window didn't create the system and has no power to change it. They hear some of the stupidest crap day in and day out and are blamed for all the systemic faults created buy the system.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
NM is a nightmare to deal with title issues in! I've had hell with them with several titles. Even changing a title from my dads name to mine... YES people here are lazy and often will sell you a vehicle with a 'clean' title in someone else's name, and you get to pay the tax and late fee's when you finally fix the issue. Buying motorcycles here is far worse than Broncos.

As far as TX goes, I would just take it in as is and see if if flys. Don't say a word about the situation. They may not bat an eye about it. IF it's an issue then you will have to figure out what you want to do? The 'legal' way would be to actually track down the legal (titled owner) and have them fill out some paperwork, OR you can fill out a bill of sale and have 'both' parties sign the form.

Good luck!

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
It is filled in. I'm thinking I'm going to try and get in touch with the guy on the title and get him to sign the Texas application for title. That would fix it all.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I ran into that a few times, luckily the original owners on the title were willing to request a replacement title, then they signed as the seller and I entered my info. (sent them some money as a thanks)

67RT

Bronco Guru
I have titled several that way in MD with no issue as sellers are allowed to "skip" title here.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Oh man....My brother ran into this. He bought a bike from a "second" owner but that second owner had not registered it when he bought it from the first owner. The title had first and second owner info on it. Filled out correctly only issue was, my brothers name was no where on it.

He ended up getting a "bonded" title on it. Cost him a few bucks but it all came out good in the end.

Tim

tribaltalon

Loc.
Humble Texas
is the buyers section on the title filled out by the guy that had it before you? If so you're in a bind. If its blank you're all good. Just get a title registration form and have the original owner "SIGN" it ;) and carry on your merry way. It's happened to me multiple times and there's no way I'm going to deal with a bonded title if i have a perfectly good title sitting in front of me.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
is the buyers section on the title filled out by the guy that had it before you? If so you're in a bind. If its blank you're all good. Just get a title registration form and have the original owner "SIGN" it ;) and carry on your merry way. It's happened to me multiple times and there's no way I'm going to deal with a bonded title if i have a perfectly good title sitting in front of me.

I see what you're saying, and have considered going that route. It is only signed by the previous guy to the guy I bought it from. But I may also go the bonded title route. It just seems, as you say, a little ridiculous to go that way when you have a perfectly good signed title in front of you.:mad:

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Often times the crabby ol' women who work in the DMV offices are so used to be nasty, that if you offer them freindly conversation and a plesant attitude they forget about their incompetence, and often times unfamilar with out of state titles.

I've had very, VERY little trouble with titles over the years, however occassionally a California, Nevada, or Arizona title will be an issue (and heavy tax penalities). Colorado is one of the easiest state to get a good title, Alaska & Wyoming are easy also,... then just transfer into what ever state you *really* want it in after that.

Y'all are right about this. I am always pleasant to those folks and rarely have any difficulty. You can't blame the gal at the window for the system or the bastage she had to deal with before you walked up!

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sorry, I am coming to this party late, but things have been busy. All I can say is that my experience is only with the NM end of title transfer. In my case, I had a vehicle I bought through an intermediate party, but NM wanted the original owner to sign the transfer, not the intermediary who didn't have titled ownership anywya. So, I had to get the intermediate guy to go back to the original owner to sign the stinkin' piece of paper before NM would accept the transfer. Sounds like Tejas is following a similar needfulness.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Sorry, I am coming to this party late, but things have been busy. All I can say is that my experience is only with the NM end of title transfer. In my case, I had a vehicle I bought through an intermediate party, but NM wanted the original owner to sign the transfer, not the intermediary who didn't have titled ownership anywya. So, I had to get the intermediate guy to go back to the original owner to sign the stinkin' piece of paper before NM would accept the transfer. Sounds like Tejas is following a similar needfulness.

So here's the question. The title I have is a clear New Mexico title with the owner's signature on the seller line on the back with no date. If I take this title and drive to the DMV in NM, sign on the purchaser line, will I be good to go? Do I have to have a bill of sale too?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
cldonley, well you would think that would be sufficient. But the ways of DMV s are mysterious and manifold. In the final analysis, someone at the DMV end will need to say "Go". And what one DMV persons says is good, the next one will say isn't. So it comes down to a single link n the chain really. You need to find one that says its o.k., get there approval, and proceed to the next step. I have been shot out of the saddle enough times to know that nothing should be assumed. You just have to get confirmation from somebody on the end that holds the stamp of approval. Sorry, I am not privy to every DMV rep's interpretation. What one says is good, the next says ain't. You just need that approval and that one stamp of approval to proceed. That is what it amounts to.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Without a bill of sale how do the authorities know how much to tax you. And that's the primary thing they want. You also have to know if your state or the other need notary stamps for the documents. In California here they want transfers done within a certain time limit and they want a non op document for a titled but expired registration. What ever you do don't start the registration process without all the documents you need or it just makes a mess of things.

I was in a mess with the DMV once where an item was sold and 2 subsequent buyers started paperwork each in their own name and were never able to clear the first purchase because of missing paperwork. They each got temporary operating permits but couldn't renew registration because they couldn't clear the title. Once I got involved it took me a year and a half diligently writing certified letters and waiting response. You have to know someone who can get address for people who can't be found through normal channels and prey they are not dead. That is no fun.

ss95003

So here's the question. The title I have is a clear New Mexico title with the owner's signature on the seller line on the back with no date. If I take this title and drive to the DMV in NM, sign on the purchaser line, will I be good to go? Do I have to have a bill of sale too?

So the persons name on the title is signed and not dated? If so your good just fill in date and say that person sold it to you. No bill of sale is required. They verbally ask what you paid and verify that vs fair market value in the system you pay fm if higher, for tax.
If the person on the title dated it then you X (60 I think) amount of days to register in your name or you pay $30(if I remember right) a month penality with no cap. They "let" you around that by getting a bonded title. This is how it works in TX went to the central office for my area and got the info last week. I didn't end up get that vehicle for other reasons though. A bonded title is about $100 and the paper work you have to fill out cost $15 from dmv.