• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Build Thoughts?

EB70

Contributor
Hello,

I must say that I am quite in love with my EB. I have a 70 and it has a 3.5" lift, 33's and a rear detroit with 3.50 gears. Nice ride, etc. All the reasons you love yours apply here. I like it enough that I am contemplating making it into a DD or at least 2-3 times a week driver. I have been driving it a lot right now and I really dig it.

With the current set-up I can pull 15 MPG if I drive nicely at 55-58. It has headers, an average condition 302, 2-barrell with a pertronix. Power is ok. I will likely swap the 302 into my other EB and go that way.

I don't see the bronco getting bigger other than maybe 35's but that would be it.

Question time:

I have a really low mileage Lincoln 302 from an 86 roller motor. Almost new and much of the efi stuff on hand. I can also get an explorer for $500-700 I would imagine. Is the explorer engine that much better? Mileage is my biggest worry. Power not so much. I want reliable, quiet and all that.

Also, I'm willing to regear the Bronco. I have a 3-speed which I honestly don't mind. However, I also have a few c4's. About how much is my C4 going to cost me in terms of MPG compared to a 5-speed swap if they are both geared for best MPG?

Thank you,

Rob

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I went from C4 to ZF and aint ever goin back.........not on this one anyway!

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have EFI and the NV-3550.
It's great for a daily driver

No idea about MPG
Don't care

You correcting for the large tires in your MPG calculation?

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
What you'll lose with a well built C4 is negligible unless you're going for milage. I don't know how far you drive to work, but if you plan on driving your EB 2 or 3 days a week, an a/t is easier around town.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I did account for the tires when I checked the MPG. This last tank with the long warm-up at high idle-(cold and winter wtih a carb) I got 13 for the tank. Not too bad considering that I left the hubs in etc.

My wifes 04 Jeep GC with a 2" lift and 31's is lucky to get 18ish.

I have been a car guy my whole life and have a fair amount of experience driving old stuff, that is all I own. I usually do DD something with some rubber under it etc. If fact 33's are the smallest tires I have ran on a modded rig.

That being said, I know that if I can't get around 15-ish, I just won't drive it due to my frugal nature. It is built like a box, even more so than the other trucks I play with.

My job is 18 miles one way and usually involves some 4x4 action to use the driveway. So 36 miles a day adds up as fuel raises.

I can just drive my Toyota more, but where is the fun in that.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
13-15 mpg! Now that's pretty good for these old rigs. My stock 302, C4 with 4:11 gears and 33"s averages 10-11 mpg on a good week. I too would drive my Bronco more if the mileage was better. So my plan is to do the explorer 5.0 swap and NV3550. Hoping to improve drive ability and mpg's into the mid teens. From all the research I've done. The Explorer swap is the way to go.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Ok. I have access to some 5-speed stuff. I would like to take it one step further and run the 231 with the 5-speed. That would give shift on the fly with the set-up. Becasuse we get so much snow, shift on the fly is nice.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Ok. I have access to some 5-speed stuff. I would like to take it one step further and run the 231 with the 5-speed. That would give shift on the fly with the set-up. Becasuse we get so much snow, shift on the fly is nice.

I do like the Auto for wheeling, but not if it is going to cost me MPG.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I think the 231 will be to wide to fit between the frame rails.

As I recall from when I used to own a Bronco, that the Ford BW cases were too wide. I have not measured the 231. If it would fit, I'd think about it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You will not be happy with 3.50 gears an overdrive and 35" tires.

The engine will be so far below optimum torque that your gas mileage will suffer.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
You will not be happy with 3.50 gears an overdrive and 35" tires.

The engine will be so far below optimum torque that your gas mileage will suffer.

The only way those gears are staying is if I DONT run an OD.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I was going back and forth between 4.56's and 4.88's when I was planning on staying with 33" tires, but with 35" tires on the way due to a sweet deal on 17" wheels and tires it will be 4.88's.

ZF5 trans 0.76 OD

My choice for the engine is the Explorer 5.0L, but still looking for the right donor.

I used both the previous Broncos I have owned as daily drivers, and am setting this one up so that it could be used as a DD.