• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco build up

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
i am fixing to overhaul my bronco.engine trans,axles the whole drivetrain.i am going back with a 302 but what are some mods i can do to the motor for a little more horsepower?also i am thinking about going with a c4 how are they on the trails. i plan on using it on and offroad.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The best way to get more torque and HP from your motor is to go with some aftermarket aluminum heads. The TFS Twisted Wedge, Edelbrock Performer series or the (what I would spend my money on) AFR 165s are all excellent choices. Whatever heads you get, get a cam that will get them to work for you in the operating range you will need (1000-5000 RPM). Do you plan on going EFI or staying carbeurated?

As far as autos, most people like their C4s. They can be built to handle alot of power and abuse. You can also set them up to shift a little like a manual...dont know much about that, but do some searches and if you do plan to wheel it, make sure whatever changes you do dont affect your compression braking for going downhill. Best of luck.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Mtn Gote said:
Come on, automatic. those are for wimps!
bdrake1 said:
well what trans should i use and what would it cost?
OK I'll start! Don't let "them" intimidate you! ;D Many well built rigs, including a lot of the competitive crawlers are running autos now. I love manuals on the street, but much prefer my C-4 in the rocks. Many posts have explored the manual vs auto debate and there is passion on both sides. It really comes down to your preference.

If you go auto, a moderately built C-4 is a good choice. Throw in a manual valve body and an Art Carr shifter with reverse pattern and you have an awesome setup!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
What are you running now? You can do the 351w without much issue and get a bit more power without even doing any mods.

OP
OP
B

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
i have a 302 now.ithough about going to a 351w but i cant get a strait across exchange.long block 351w is 750 with same exchange

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
check craigslist, you can find blocks for like $100 usually. Thats what I did cause they needed a 351 core.