• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Deuce

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
If they have the stock power plant then it is a VERY reliable multi fuel engine.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
That is too scary for me! Reminds me of backing my lawn tractor out of my truck using short 4 wheeler ramps in high school. No thanks!

D ROCK

I'm thinking NO!!!!! It's all cool until someone loses an eye...

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Hahaha! Amazing right? Makes you want to go out and find one of those duces! I found several by my house in MI for around 2500-3500.

I've been looking for a new vehicle for work, play, and transporting the bronco(when it finally gets done). Are these reliable? Found a few bobbed ones for under 10k. This would be cool to have with the bronco trailered behind it.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Duces are cool, but I wouldn't want to drive one very many miles to a trail. I remember those days in one and not fondly of the ride. It was brutal when I was 21 and I can't imagine how much worse it would be at 61.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I have owned a former army vehicle. And it wasn't American made. The deuce is an awesome vehicle BUT
-top speed, 50 mph.
-not many creature comforts
-hard to find hardtops, most come with rags.
-very loud interior
-they are cheap to buy, but are expensive to repair
-8 MPG
-hard to maneuver in tight spaces
-24 volts (need converters for tow lights)
-if you get stuck, recovery gets very expensive, very quickly if you don't have a winch.
I really had it made, but life got in the way and I had to sell it:(. Mine was an East German IFA W50. 11' wheel base, tight turning radius, bed off an M923, Multifuel diesel, 4 cylinder, 125 HP (all in the low end!) hard top. It had in cab capability of airing up each individual tire from the cab and monitoring air pressure.
It had a lot of the negatives of the deuce, but it was only four wheels and was a blast to drive. It was like driving a rock star. Everytime I would go to Wally World, or take it out for errands to stretch her legs, she would always gather a crowd wondering what the heck it was.

Deuce's have their own following like EB's. Wouldn't be surprised at all if someone else here has one. And yes, they have been turned into offroad campers.

I guess my point is this isn't something you can go down and pick up from gubmunt surplus and have driving machine. You need the home shop infrastructure to keep yourself and wallet from going insane.

Attachments

• ifa_w50_i000003.jpg
    ifa_w50_i000003.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 50
  • ifa_w50_i000004.jpg
    ifa_w50_i000004.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46

rdukw

I have two deuces and one M813 5 ton. They are not rocket ships but the 5 ton with 54" tires will cruise at 65 mph. Parts are readily available and very reasonably priced. I have had my deuce out wheeling a couple times and that thing would climb stuff that would blow your mind.

Ryan

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I owned a customized M35 for a while..bought it 'new' to my specs from Memphis Equipment who are sadly no longer in business. They built new trucks to order from surplus Army inventory.

Reliable?..nothing ever built by man is/was more reliable. Uncomfortable..noisy..slow..underpowered...but incredibly reliable.;D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I owned a customized M35 for a while..bought it 'new' to my specs from Memphis Equipment who are sadly no longer in business. They built new trucks to order from surplus Army inventory.

Reliable?..nothing ever built by man is/was more reliable. Uncomfortable..noisy..slow..underpowered...but incredibly reliable.;D

I used to ride by that place all the time when I was a kid,before the malls and the shopping was down town. When I was farming, I considered have them build me on with a grain dolly on the back to get the grain from the combine to the 18 wheeler. I thought 6 wheel drive would be awesome.

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
For the past year I've been researching different dump trucks to buy for my small business. I need something that can trailer my equipment and load gravel in the bed. Also, I wanted something that could eventually tow my bronco when I needed to. A diesel was a must but every "decent" dump truck was $20K. I don't need the comforts and my bronco will have the HP to have fun. After seeing a bobbed deuce I thought they looked cool and would fit what I needed at a fraction of the price. Keep replying any former military guys let me know what you know or how you felt about these trucks. How cool would it be to drive up with a deuce and have a bronco with it? That's why I loved this video.