• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco exhaust system ??

jmms

Loc.
Suwanee,GA (N.E.of A
I just got my 76 Bronco running again (after two years of sitting) I put a new set of Hooker Headers on it . Now I need to add an exhaust system. Anybody have any ideas or advise? I found a exhaust kit in JC Whitney for $149. Anybody ever installed one of these before?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I would just suggest going to a loco muffler shop after you get the headers hooked up and have them add the rest less hassel and fast just my 2 cents worth good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Took mine to two Meineke shops (just to ensure honest quotes) and all they wanted to know is where I wanted the route of the exhaust to go... Next thing I know I have a custom duel exhaust with no catalitic or headaches...

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
The cat is only necessary on one side of the vehicle? I am considering re-installing mine on my 77' since it didnt have one when I got it. Having to skirt smogging creatively is annoying and it would just be easier to stick one on and not have to worry about tricking the smog nazi's.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Moaiz said:
Having to skirt smogging creatively is annoying and it would just be easier to stick one on and not have to worry about tricking the smog nazi's.

That's a fact. And nowadays with the availability of better breathing aftermarket cats, it's not really a performance problem either.
I like the single 2.5" system on the passenger side myself these days. Way better than stock and not as much hassle to route.

Paul

ps Smog checks becoming a problem
in Rapa Nui now are they?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
find a small shop that handles race cars and such. Tell him you will be using the eb off road only. trail it in without license plates.

Or, buy a cat and hollow that sucker out. In some states all they do is inspect for presence.....

dpm

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why hollow it? With a nice modern monolithic honey comb core, there is pratically no restirction. It ain't your grampas old pellet bed cat anymore.

That's if you have to deal with cats.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Broncobowsher said:

That's if you have to deal with cats.

Yeah...I have a Big Dog for dealling with cats...yummy.

Someday I may have to out one on. but for not I am enjoying the catless ala mode.....

67bondobronc

Since you are in GA, all you have to do is take it to a shop out of the metro ATL area and I am almost positive that any shop will put a custom exhaust system on there with no questions asked. I had my 2000 Dodge (pos, so glad I don't have it anymore) truck done and the guy looked at me and said "You want the cat to stay on or take it off"?;D

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
What's a good reasonable price for dual and/or single exhaust from the headers back at a local shop? I wonder if it's just cheaper to go with one of the systems from a place like Duff at $242.00 for a complete 2.25" system.