• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco frame question!

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
what is the dimensions of the bronco frame the boxed in part i need to build a mount for my bumper and i want to build a box that slides inside the frame rail and i need to know how wide it is and how high it is. thanks

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Most of us use 2" X 4" rectangular tubing for the frame inserts on bumpers. Height-wise its just about an exact fit. Width-wise its just a tad narrow, but that's cool because it gives you a little breathing room when R&R'ing the bumper.

Dusty

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ok thanks so much i didn't know what to use i was just going to get some angle and make a box out of them but ill go down to the steel yard right now and pick up some 2x4 thank you

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
As Dusty said, 2X4 3/16" rectangular tube is a great fit for the front, but for the rear, the dimensions are different. The opening is a little larger and the 2X4 doesnt fit well.

As well, apart from an insert, you should consider plating the frame-horns to strengthen the attachment points. The 1/8" thick frame material will "pull through". If you dont want to replate the entire frame-horns, then wherever you plan to have a bolt to secure the bumper, weld a large thick washer to the frame--this will prevent pull through by spreading out the surface area that is being pulled on. When I plated mine frame horns, I went back as far as I could all the way around on both sides of the front--back to the body mounts at least. In the back, I plated from the inside since most bumpers mount over the horns there and the shape of the bumper prevents significant insertion... not to mention the 2X4 isnt the right size. (sounds dirty, but its true).

Good luck.

John

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
When I did mine, I tapered the inserts to get them in as far as possible. Then welded nuts on the inside in some places and drilled for thru bolts on others. That way I had maximum number of bolts possible. Ran them in until either the steer box bolts hit or (on the pass side) a rivet interferred.:cool:

SANY1671.jpg

SANY1668.jpg

SANY1667.jpg

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
Ya i got 2x4 3/16 wall im just gunna get these bumpers to just make it street legal i got a warn winch bumper and just threw a stock bumper on the rear waitin for my dad to go out and pick up a tube bender so we can build our prerunner bumpers and exo cages thanks for the tips guys

post pics of ur broncos i wanna see some of these things maybe some pics of custom tube bumpers to get some ideas