• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco in hot water

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
ive got a stock 3 core radiator on my 71 302, and it cools decent until im offroad, or stuck in traffic for a while. But it wont fully hold water, the top 3-4 inches wont stay full and completley trashed the top few rows. If you touch them lightly with your finger, they flake off. Im thinking about going with a universal style alum. rad. from summit or jegs, and if needed wiring an electric fan. I dont go offroad as much as im stuck in central florida traffic, but i still need a decent setup, as cheap as possible(college kid), but not used. Whats my best bet?

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Have you checked some of the vendors on the banners above %) ? Wildhorses, JBG, BC Broncos.....

classic4x4s

Loc.
Zachary, LA
I run the BC triple pass. With my 351 bored .60 over, it stays around 190 most of the time. On a hot day in traffic it has gotton to 210, but that is it.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Do a search as this topic has been covered 100's of times. The general consensus is that electrics don't cool well enough in a Bronco.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
jaydub01 said:
ive got a stock 3 core radiator on my 71 302, and it cools decent until im offroad, or stuck in traffic for a while. But it wont fully hold water, the top 3-4 inches wont stay full and completley trashed the top few rows. If you touch them lightly with your finger, they flake off. Im thinking about going with a universal style alum. rad. from summit or jegs, and if needed wiring an electric fan. I dont go offroad as much as im stuck in central florida traffic, but i still need a decent setup, as cheap as possible(college kid), but not used. Whats my best bet?
Go with brass and copper and it won't flake apart.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'm running BC's copper radiator as well. This thing works really well. Bolts right up with no hassles. My 351 used to run on the hot side, not no more ;D
Check it out on the BC website. Its not the cheapest route but i think the end results are worth it in the long run. good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The radiator not being completely full is normal if you don't have an overflow bottle. As the engine warms up, excess water is pushed out, when it cools air is sucked in. That 3-4" of air shrinks as the water warms up.

You may want to consider using distilled water in your cooling system too. It doesn't have the minerals and Ph imbalance that eats metals. Walmart sells it for 58¢ a gallon around here.